Author Topic: Baptism 1860 - Jemima Louisa Chatton  (Read 968 times)

Offline Carliol

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Baptism 1860 - Jemima Louisa Chatton
« on: Sunday 14 January 18 18:55 GMT (UK) »
I have found what appears to be two separate baptism entries for Jemima Louisa Chatton, daughter of George (Iron Founder/Master) and Mary Chatton, as follows -
Baptism - 22nd March, 1860 at St Matthew, Little Lever
Baptism - 15th April, 1860 at St John the Evangelist, Farnworth with Kearsley

I shall be grateful if anyone can explain why this might have happened.

Hall, Isherwood, Peel, Rushton, Bentley, Lee, Leyland, Lunn

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism 1860 - Jemima Louisa Chatton
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 January 18 20:05 GMT (UK) »
It would appear that the family lived in Little Lever but George and Mary (Entwistle) were married in Farnworth with Kearsley in 1862 so perhaps there were family members there who couldn't make it to Little Lever, or it was just a sentimental thing. Both baptisms (the one in Little Lever transcribed as Charlton) are on lancs opc along with George's marriage to Mary and his second marriage in 1876 to a Mary Cooke.

All George and Mary's children were baptised Farnworth with Kearsley. Jemima and two others were also baptised in Little Lever.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 January 18 21:51 GMT (UK) »
The baptism at St. John's, Farnworth in April has the letter p (possibly denoting private or provisional?) A note on LAN OC says that the officiants name not recorded. It's possible that the baptism at St. Matthew in March was an emergency one because the baby was ill. She was baptised by James Slade, presumably the minister there. The baptism at Farnworth in April may have been the rest of the ceremony, held later when she'd recovered. As emelton suggested it may have been at Farnworth to enable infirm relatives to attend.
Oddly, all other baptisms at St. John in the weeks before and after Jemima's have "p" or "pd" after them.
Someone with better knowledge of baptism procedure in Anglican churches at the time may be able to throw light on it.
Sometimes  a child's baptism appeared in registers at 2 churches in the same parish a few days apart. In such cases the child was baptised at a chapel-of-ease nearest home and entered in the register, then a record of the baptism was sent to the parish church and written in that register as well. I wondered if that was the case with these 2 churches. LAN OPC has no information about the history of the 2 churches. I picked the name of another child at random from St. John's register to check for a duplicate baptism for her but couldn't find one.
A person is only supposed to be baptised once. If the baptism at St. Matthew in March was a normal, routine baptism there shouldn't have been a second one.

Edit. The first 4 of the Chatton children baptised at St. John (1853-1860) have the letter p; the later 4 don't. What were names of 2 others baptised in Little Lever? The 2 churches are 1.15 miles apart as the crow flies.
Cowban

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 January 18 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Son George baptised Little Lever 5 March 1875 - no baptism at Farnworth noted.

Sarah Ann baptised Little Lever 15 April 1871 then baptised again at Farnworth with Kearsley 28 May 1871. This entry has a note which states that she was baptised privately at Little Lever 5 May 1871 and received into the church at Farnworth on 28 May 1871.

It is possible that the Little Lever baptisms were private ones if the child wasn't expected to live, perhaps, but were included in the Register by the Vicar who carried them out. At a later date when the child was out of danger they went through a ceremony to receive them into the church at Farnworth and the vicar there classed this as a baptism too.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Carliol

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 January 18 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for all your research, information and opinion - emeltom & Maiden Stone. It more than answers my enquiry and reveals a lot more besides. I very much appreciate your assistance. It's reassuring to know that there are experts like you willing to help relative novices like me!!

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 17:31 GMT (UK) »
I was a novice not very long ago. I'm not a veteran on the subject, despite the label next to my name.
Natural curiosity helps and sometimes widening the search field, e.g. browsing a parish register to see if the same thing happened with other families.
There are helpful online guides such as :
GenGuide
 Discovering English Ancestors
http://dea.byu.edu/index.php?page=home
 Ancestor Search - Where to find information on your English & Welsh ancestors
http://www.ancestor-search.info/home.htm
Cowban

Offline Carliol

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for these links Maiden Stone. I will certainly follow them up.