Author Topic: Marriage at Roscommon  (Read 13696 times)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage at Roscommon
« Reply #63 on: Friday 21 September 18 11:48 BST (UK) »
Full text now found, thanks to Sc00p

Cut and paste from Freemans Journal... Tue 11 Jun 1839 p3.

LAMENTABLE OCCURRENCE. On Tuesday evening last Mr. Basil Sandys, who has re- sided in this town for some months back, and who held the situation of excise officer, went out for some short time from his house in Church-street, leaving his family of six children behind him; on his return he found that the eldest, a fine girl of thirteen years of age, had neglected to attend to her brothers and sisters, as directed by her father when going out; he immediately laid hold of her, and commenced beating her with the thong of a whip which he took down for that purpose. After beating her for some time, and whilst in a violent fit of passion, he turned the handle of the whip and struck her on the crown of the head; a bone crook which was on the handle entered the child's skull to some depth, and fractured it. She now lies in the county infirmary, in a hopeless state, and Mr. Sandys has been arrested and committed to our county gaol, awaiting the result. Mr. Sandys is respectably connected in the county of Roscommon, and his wife, the stepmother of the children, was not at home it occurred -- Longford Journal
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Friday 21 September 18 11:52 BST (UK) »
So, he had 6 children and looks like he was married twice by then, if I read it correctly.....how does that fit in with tree?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Friday 21 September 18 11:59 BST (UK) »
The Consolidated Index To the Records of the Genealogical Office
Dublin, Ireland

Compiled by  Virginia Wade McAnlis

SANDYS 

GO MS 37 Irish Arms at College of Heralds p.25, 51 or 54, 112, 252

GO MS 223-54 Betham Will Abstracts 1/351, 5/106, 8/66, 9/86, 12/4, 13/262,
19/89, 23/299, 27/83, 30/290 - Lodge 2/67, 5/118, 6/8, 10/23 of Sandfield, Co. Roscommon

GO MS 292-298 Betham Sketch Pedigrees Series 2, VII, p.59  of Co. Roscommon

GO MS 404-5 Davies MSS II, no page given  Loose Pedigrees

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Friday 21 September 18 20:47 BST (UK) »

I haven't got as far as tracking any descendants of his siblings or forebears in Roscommon.  I really do appreciate your searching, but until I sort out the marriages I'm stuck.

Philip

Notably, the Sandys name (pronounced, and sometimes spelt, ‘Sands’) appeared in this area of County Longford around the time of this murder; Colonel Robert Sandys was another Cromwellian soldier who settled in, and was appointed High Sherriff of, County Roscommon (died 1684), while a Sandys family settled in Crevaghmore, County Longford, and included the wonderfully named Freke Sandys, who married in 1683; in the 1659 Census Symon Sandys was a ‘titulado’ of Crevaghmore. Robert Sands Esq., ‘Collector in the County of Longford’, was prosecuted for ‘demanding crown rents on waste lands between 1692 and 1695, contrary to the vote of the Irish House of Commons’.   

https://moxhamireland.wordpress.com/2014/06/21/tashinny-church/

Offline kevingmoore

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 16:01 BST (UK) »
Here's something that may be of interest ..

On Monday 17th July 1865 (Saunders’s News-letter and Advertiser, Dublin) an article under Sale of Valuable Life Policies states that

No. 5 - Policy on life of Basil Sandys, Esq., formerly of Durham Abbey, County of Roscommon, in Standard Life Office, dated 9th January 1840, for £500 and bonuses; annual premium, £12 8s 7d., payable 9th January. The bonuses have been applied in reduction of the premium, which was £8 8s 9d. Said Basil Sandys is now in his 64th year.

(the £8 8s 9d is difficult to read)
Moore
Moraghan
Kelly
Ganley
Goodswen
Loxley
Newhall/Newell

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 17:07 BST (UK) »
Here's something that may be of interest ..

On Monday 17th July 1865 (Saunders’s News-letter and Advertiser, Dublin) an article under Sale of Valuable Life Policies states that

No. 5 - Policy on life of Basil Sandys, Esq., formerly of Durham Abbey, County of Roscommon, in Standard Life Office, dated 9th January 1840, for £500 and bonuses; annual premium, £12 8s 7d., payable 9th January. The bonuses have been applied in reduction of the premium, which was £8 8s 9d. Said Basil Sandys is now in his 64th year.

(the £8 8s 9d is difficult to read)

Many thanks for posting this.  I had seen it and it adds to the mystery of Basil's finances - which is a whole other issue!  ???

The problem for me is proving Basil's first two marriages - he hopped between England and Ireland and it's not easy to find hard evidence.

marriage 1 - Catherine DEVANEY before 1827 - she is named on her father's gravestone in Derrane as died on 1 Feb (transcript says 1830, but more likely 1836)
marriage 2 - Catherine GERAGHTY c1837-1840  (unsourced date 21 Sep 1837 - location not given)
[marriage 3 - Catherine OTTER (nee BERMINGHAM) 19 Mar 1855 - I have a copy of the marriage certificate]

Philip

p.s. - hallmark, my apologies for missing your September posts.  Basil's lineage is established, it's just these b****y marriages  ??? ???

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 19:04 BST (UK) »
No problem.

I see Catherine Geraghty and Catherine Gerahty had Durham Abbey

Wonder why the 2 spellings!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 20:16 BST (UK) »
Pedigree of Sandys of Derham Lodge, Co Roscomon, 1788-1924. GO MS 172: 215

National Library of Ireland

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 22:17 BST (UK) »
No problem.

I see Catherine Geraghty and Catherine Gerahty had Durham Abbey

Wonder why the 2 spellings!

WOW!  Where is this snippet from?  I've not seen it before.  It's the first document I've seen naming other GERAGHTY family.

The SANDYS pedigree I have (obtained from NLI) is a handwritten tree which has Basil d1861 (should be 1871) m1837 Catherine dau of Martin Geraghty with one son James 1846-1904.  No mention of Basil's other wives and family.

Philip