Author Topic: Elizabeth Mitchell  (Read 920 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Mitchell
« on: Sunday 14 January 18 21:13 GMT (UK) »
I am hoping someone can help me trace the christening of my ancestor Elizabeth Mitchell.

Elizabeth was married to John Ryall [of South Cadbury] on 8 March 1707/08 in Sutton Montague, Somerset. They were married by licence and the Bondsmen are named as "Richard Searle of South Cadbury and Richard Mitchell".

Richard Mitchell might be Elizabeth's father or a brother.

Thanks

Matt

Online ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Mitchell
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 January 18 11:02 GMT (UK) »

The way the marriage record reads they were both of South Cadbury. There are two records there that may relate.

John Ryall Baptism 24 Jun 1675 South Cadbury, Somerset, parents Elias & Mary.
Elizabeth Michell Baptism16 May 1686 South Cadbury, Somerset, parents John & Ann

I cannot tie Elizabeth with a Richard. There were only 3 Richards born in the County around that period but no apparent Elizabeth, however
Richardas Mitchel (father Johannis) Baptism 12 Apr 1683 Corton Denham, Somerset may be related?

Colin

Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 January 18 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Being "of South Cadbury" simply means that was where they were living at the time.
They may not have been born in South Cadbury! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 January 18 14:11 GMT (UK) »

The way the marriage record reads they were both of South Cadbury. There are two records there that may relate.

Elizabeth Michell Baptism16 May 1686 South Cadbury, Somerset, parents John & Ann

I cannot tie Elizabeth with a Richard. There were only 3 Richards born in the County around that period but no apparent Elizabeth, however
Richardas Mitchel (father Johannis) Baptism 12 Apr 1683 Corton Denham, Somerset may be related?

Colin

Hi

Thanks for that. Yes my John was the son of Elias and Mary Ryall and I have Elias's christening details although I don't know when they married or what her maiden name was.

Thanks for the info on Elizabeth, sounds like a likely candidate.

Will follow this up later and let u know.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 14:06 GMT (UK) »
How far is Axbridge from South Cadbury? I am trying to locate the marriage of Elizabeth's parents and so far the only likely one I've found is this:

John MICKEL and Anne Davies - 3 October 1680 - Axbridge

I can easily see Mitchell getting misheard as Michell, then transcribed as Mickell in error.

Can anyone offer any other possibilities?

Thanks in advance

Matt

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Google maps shows it to be 32 or 33 miles from South Cadbury to Axbridge ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Google maps shows it to be 32 or 33 miles from South Cadbury to Axbridge ;D

Thanks for that. I think that's probably a bit far between parishes for it to be my John and Anne. I will keep it in  mind though.

Next thing, look for Wills relating to the Mitchell name.

Thanks

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 January 18 01:30 GMT (UK) »

Colin

There is only about 2 miles between South Cadbury and Corton Denham so there could well be a link there. There is also an Anna (father Johannis) christened in 1678 and an Agatha (father Johannis) christened in 1673 who could be sisters of the above Richard.

Matt