Author Topic: Two brother whoe died in 1864 in prison camps  (Read 2254 times)

Offline JanPennington

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Two brother whoe died in 1864 in prison camps
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 26 April 18 03:09 BST (UK) »
Hi
It sounds like we may be very distantly related. 
Eliza Lea's, brother James Walter Lea is my 3 X great grand father.  Emily Lea Witt (my great-great-grandmother) was his illegitimate daughter with his servant  Ann Witt.  Emily names here father on her marriage certificate.  James Walter Lea and his second wife Sarah emigrated to Canada.
I think the name "Martha" is a mistake as I have found baptism records of the other children but not a Martha.
Bertha Moss, a housekeeper married her employer and their daughter, Caroline Rosa, married a Cambridge professor Charles Heycock.  The Heycock's are an interesting family and I got distracted following them for a while.
Thank you your additional information about Frederick.  I did wonder about the two wives.  I would think after his time during the war he would have suffered some post-traumatic stress.  I knew nothing about the American Civil War when I started my research but from what I have read the impact on those involved and heir families was immense.
I can send you more information about the Lea's by personal message of you wish.
Jan

Tomlinson, Gash, Faulkner, Dickinson, Dawson - Lincolnshire
Toms, Street, Witt, Harris, Foot(e) - Hampshire

Offline Smckay46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 26 April 18 16:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,

I would like to get more info on the Lea family. The only thing I have is on Eliza and her family and that in the 1841 census her brother George was listed.

By the way Eliza’s children Frederickand Edgar are not with the family in 1841.  I found them in school in Shipton Moyne, Gloucestershire.

I have some ods and end documents on Thomas And Eliza and family.  Because it’s not your direct line I don’t know how interested you are.

My regular email is my user name plus @sccoast.net

Steve McKay
South Carolina USA

Offline JanPennington

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 27 April 18 00:04 BST (UK) »
Hi
I will send you more information about the Lea's and how they link to me.  If I send a gedcom file is that of any use to you?

All the records of Eliza's and her siblings' baptisms are in the parish records for Malmesbury - it borders Shipton Moyne, but is in Wiltshire rather than Gloucestershire.
I visited the UK (I live in Australia at the moment) last November and visited the Wiltshire History Centre and saw the lease for  property on Malmesbury to James Walter Malmesbury which implied that the property had been previously leased to his father and grandfather.  It was not possible to exactly work out where the property was as the street names have changed over time.  I did not have long enough to study the document thoroughly  - my brother is not as obsessed by family history and old documents.
I would be interested in knowing more about the Moss family in United States if you are able to give me any information,
By the way I think we are fourth cousins.
Jan
After I sell my house here I will be returning to UK and will be trying to follow up on actual records.
Tomlinson, Gash, Faulkner, Dickinson, Dawson - Lincolnshire
Toms, Street, Witt, Harris, Foot(e) - Hampshire

Offline Smckay46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 27 April 18 02:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,

We can try the Gedcom and I’ll see if I can load it.

Steve