Author Topic: John Thomas of Margam, Wales  (Read 377 times)

Offline GThomasMN

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Thomas of Margam, Wales
« on: Monday 15 January 18 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello! I am looking for information regarding my ancestor John Thomas from Margam, Wales. He came to America in 1663 with the Baptists that left Ilston, Wales. They were led my the minister John Myles, who formed the Particular Baptist Church, which met at Ilston. They fled the Gower Peninsula to avoid religious persecution and arrived in Boston, Massachusetts, around 1663-1664, where they eventually founded the town of Swansea, naming it after the town they left.

John was married to an Elizabeth(maiden name unknown) in 1667. He was a deacon for the Swansea First Baptist Church in Massachusetts. He was one of a handful of people to travel to America with Myles and was an early church leader. He is buried in Rhode Island.

I have consulted the Ilston Book, the book kept by Myles that records the early baptisms of the Ilston Church, and discovered that John was from Margam. Also listed are an Evan Thomas, Margarett Thomas, William Thomas and a Gwyrfil Thomas, all from Margam.

I would appreciate any information that any of you may have about the Thomas family of Margam, pictures of gravestones, possible grave locations, etc. I know that we are not supposed to ask to look for living relatives here but if you know of any members of the Thomas family in and around Margam, please pass this along to them! I would love to hear from them and see if we are related! Please send me a private message if you wish!

Thank You!

Sincerely,

Gary A. Thomas, Jr.
Minnesota, U.S.A.