Author Topic: Identification of a couple of coats of arms  (Read 5413 times)

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Identification of a couple of coats of arms
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 24 May 18 11:16 BST (UK) »
Fantastic Sharon!
Thank you so much.
I look forward to hearing from you with baited breath  ;)
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 24 May 18 11:38 BST (UK) »
Ah, I may have misinterpreted the 'Fynney' wikitree list. I thought the search at the top was within the Fynney list but it must be for the whole wikitree site. Apologies.

However, the arms of Hough of Leighton fit your description and Leighton is only 18 miles from Leek near where the Fynneys were based, so a marriage is possible !

I wonder if the "or three torteau gules" in your no 5 are not Bolougne but are Courtenay (the Earls of Devon family) ?  Like you, I am unable to identify the other arms which seems to be "or, a pennon gules"., not a common charge, indeed I can't find an example at present.

As a matter of interest, what is the date of the book you are quoting from ?

Maec

PS whilst writing this, Sharon's post has come through. I'll be interested to see what she has for us :)
Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 24 May 18 14:18 BST (UK) »
Goldie and Sharon

'Valiant Harvest' by Robert F Osborn, 1964 .... F B Fynney gets a mention in this comprehensive book on the South Africa Sugar Industry.

<i>"Fynney's Sugar Estate, 1863-1871 ... F B Fynney was one of the original Byrne's cotton lands' settlers who stuck to his allotment at Mt Moreland. His estate adjoined Blamey's, and he followed the latter's example by planting cane about the year 1863, and subsequently erected a sugar mill of the same size as Blamey's. In 1870 John Robinson reports that Fynney had some 200 acres under cane. The estate was right on the bank of the Umhloti, and in 1902 passed into the hands of the Umhloti Valley Sugar Mill and Estate Co Ltd after having had nine previous owners."</i>

Book available on Abebooks ... includes further info on Blamey, and map etc to show locations. If you can't get a book, PM me for the full info.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline Boy Scout

• RootsChat Member
  • George in Carnival mood c 1929
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 24 May 18 14:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Sharon86, welcome to RootsChat.
My wife is a Fynney descendent being the 4 x Gt. Granddaughter of Doctor Fielding Best Fynney 1743-1806. We have lots on the Fynney’s I do believe that there is at least one other person (male) with the Fynney name in South Africa which due to the rules I can’t name here but will send you a personal message on this forum about that. As far as we know there is no one in England with the Fynney name as a surname. There are also Fynney descendants in Australia but the name there has also passed out of use. It was one your Gt. Grandfather’s Sisters that took the name there. A long story.
My wife’s Gt. Gt. Grandfather, Frederick Adolphus Fynney was brother to your Fielding Best Fynney who went to South Africa and was at one time in business with him. Like Goldie 61 I am fascinated to see what you have in your research, personal knowledge and book.
The picture that you posted is from original plates that are still in existence but not in my possession. I have a black and white of it.
Also I think I may have a picture of your Oswald.

Boy Scout.
Booth, Askey, Tomlinson, Challinor - Staffordshire
Harvey, Gee, Boston, Shenton, Dale, Maisey, Gibson, Tomlinson, Goodwin - Congleton Cheshire, Fynney- Leek, Manchester, Australia and South Africa

Offline sharonfynney86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 24 May 18 14:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much Boyscout,

We have a number of family photo's and my father (possibly the male you are referring to) is busy writing articles for a South African magazine about the life of his father Fredrick Eric Warren Fynney and his father Oswald who was a magistrate in Natal. I have attached a few photo's for you.

I would love to see what ever you have!

Offline sharonfynney86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 25 May 18 07:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Goldie,

Here are some of the coats of arms I found in my Grans research files.

I will have to do multiple posts

Offline sharonfynney86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 25 May 18 07:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Goldie,

2nd set

Offline sharonfynney86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 25 May 18 07:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Goldie,

Final

Offline sharonfynney86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 25 May 18 07:44 BST (UK) »
Fynney Brass