Author Topic: Rothbury Parish Records 1650-1750  (Read 2734 times)

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Rothbury Parish Records 1650-1750
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 23:12 GMT (UK) »
I've been to Woodhorn today so thought I would look

Records this early can be very difficult to read so I thought I’d short cut and look at the transcripts. These are no ordinary transcripts - they appeared over many months in the Rothbury parish magazine - I’ve no idea what date but several decades ago I reckon.  They come with an index but I couldn’t get the page numbers to match with numbers on the magazines (all on microfilm) so I’ve had to go through page by page which means I have only covered a few years and can’t guarantee I’ve got them all. 

Baptisms

4 October 1663 William fil Edward Wilson, Whitton
? March 1664/65 And. fil Rob. Wilson, Wrighill
10 January 1665/66 Anne fil Rob. Wilson, Wrighill
? June 1672 Eliz fil Rob. Wilson *
1 April 1677 Mary fil Geo. Wilson, Gt. Tosson
17 April 1681 Eliz. fil George Wilson, Great Tosson

Burials

? September 1675 Isabel fil Rob. Wilson, Wrighill
22 April 1677 Willm fil Willm Wilson, Rothbury
27 May 1686 Mary fil Richard Wilson, Tosson Mill
   There was not a certificate brought for her within 8 days, of wch, I certifyed the    Churchwardens, under my hand, June

Marriages

31 May 1670 John Young, Trewit Mill: Ellen Wilson, Upp. Trewit
? December 1676 George Willson, Tosson, Spittal: Isabell Snawdn, Gt. Tosson
13 November 1679 Roger Wilson, Warkworth: Ann Gibson, Forest, Roth
12 June 1688 James Wilson, Tosson, Spitle: Christian Robson, Cartington Bank Head
20 May 1690 Roland Snawdon, Farnelaw: Isabel Wilson, Farnelaw
11 September 1694 Richard Wilson, Tosson Mill: Catherine Hardy, Newtowne
1695 Andrew Wilson, Whitton Tower: Katherine Robson, Rothbury **
19 May 1695 Thomas Wilson, Lorbittle: Jane Gray, Great Tosson
28 May 1695 Andrew Wilson, Wharton: Jane Pratt, Snitter
14 October 1699 Andrew Wilson, Snitter: Anne Whilley, Snitter

? = The date is in the fold of the magazine and has not copied properly
* = Page blurred and difficult to read - need to check originals
** = only the year shown - need to check originals

All spellings and shortened names are as written - my spell checker has been going beserk!

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Oops, pressed post before saying that I should be there again next week and will add a few more if you wish

Christine

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 25 March 18 12:47 BST (UK) »

I’d suggest if using Ancestry accessing the Durham & Northumberland Bishop’s transcripts using Ancestry’s own version.  On their main search page just enter “Durham” and the transcripts should be near the top of the list.   (Of course they don’t go as far back as you want in this case.)

Once you find an entry you want to save you can create a link to the image and connect it to the relevant person in your own tree. 

It took me a while to realise what a useful resource the transcripts are, but also how difficult it would be for Ancestry to index them.

Paul

I really can't see the advantage of using Ancestry to see the scans of the BTs. What you see on Ancestry is just a link to the images hosted on Family Search (even if that has been obscured to make it look like you are getting them from ancestry), its not Ancestry's "own version", they aren't even hosting the images.

If FreeREG and its volunteers can transcribe these records into a searchable database, on home computers, painstakingly, a line at a time, solely for the reward of knowing they have helped to make the information freely available,  then for a commercial company who gets a massive income from their customers it should be a piece of cake.

Boo

Offline Paul 77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 25 March 18 12:55 BST (UK) »

I’d suggest if using Ancestry accessing the Durham & Northumberland Bishop’s transcripts using Ancestry’s own version.  On their main search page just enter “Durham” and the transcripts should be near the top of the list.   (Of course they don’t go as far back as you want in this case.)

Once you find an entry you want to save you can create a link to the image and connect it to the relevant person in your own tree. 

It took me a while to realise what a useful resource the transcripts are, but also how difficult it would be for Ancestry to index them.

Paul

I really can't see the advantage of using Ancestry to see the scans of the BTs. What you see on Ancestry is just a link to the images hosted on Family Search (even if that has been obscured to make it look like you are getting them from ancestry), its not Ancestry's "own version", they aren't even hosting the images.

If FreeREG and its volunteers can transcribe these records into a searchable database, on home computers, painstakingly, a line at a time, solely for the reward of knowing they have helped to make the information freely available,  then for a commercial company who gets a massive income from their customers it should be a piece of cake.

Boo
It was the ease of creating a link to the information that I meant to highlight, I was aware that Ancestry is viewing the same scanned info.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 25 March 18 13:38 BST (UK) »

It was the ease of creating a link to the information that I meant to highlight, I was aware that Ancestry is viewing the same scanned info.

Okay but we should also be aware that if we have a tree on one of the commercial sites then it and its associated links are only accessible as long as the subscription is being paid.
If you ever get to the stage where you have documented everyone and decide not to pay for the sub any more, or circumstances change and the sub is no longer within your budget, you can download the tree as a gedcom and import it into family tree software, but that would not give access to the links /images, so you would lose all that important info.

Try copying a link, sign out of your account, then paste the link into your browser address bar. Unless you then sign in to an active account, the page/image will not open.

I have every snippet of information, every image, reference etc etc  I have ever found in the last 18 years securely saved and linked to a tree (not commercial software but my own system) and then backed up three different ways, and in different households. I don't even need to have a net connection to view it, never mind a sub to a commercial organisation Its taken me a long while to research everyone properly and I am still working on it.  I'd strongly object to having to pay to see it in the future.
I am not having a go at the commercial sites, I have used them extensively as research tools and for that purpose they are super, but I would be very wary of storing all the results of my work solely with them. I accept that is personal preference and that we each do what suits us.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 25 March 18 13:40 BST (UK) »
Apologies to MY60, I have gone totally off topic on your thread :-(

Boo

Offline MY60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 25 March 18 21:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the information. I started initially using Ancestry, not expecting to collect much information and have been amazed how much I have collected over the last two or three years and now need to make sure I download and organise the information more independently for future reference. Good advice !

As for the Wilsons. My great great grandmother Esther Wilson (bn 1813) was from Ulgham but on checking I see her father was born in Whitton, Rothbury. There were, as you indicate, many Wilsons in the family but I think that I have tentatively traced back from Esther’s father William Wilson to John Wilson  (1757-1803) who married Esther Robson ( 1756-1854)

Beyond that I think James Wilson (1727)  could be the parent of this John Wilson, but then I lose the thread  as James Wilson’s  father appears as a Robert (Robt) Wilson but there are several born around 1700 in Rothbury area eg I found two - 1695 to 1703  and I suppose there is no way of identifying which Robert Wilson it is.

If Andrew Wilson is father of the Robert Wilson born in 1703 and his birth is listed as Wreighhill in 1665. (Interesting in itself as I see local history mentions the hamlet of Wreighill mentioned as decimated by plague in 1665 !) but there is also a Robt Wilson born 1697 in Flotterton . I can’t find any marriage details for either but see you have listed two marriages for 1695 and 1699 for Andrew Wilsons in Snitter, either could be correct I assume....Jane Pratt and Ann Whiley
Thank you all for the input !