Author Topic: Ellen Gooch  (Read 4618 times)

Offline MaryanneR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ellen Gooch
« on: Tuesday 16 January 18 06:39 GMT (UK) »
I am having a major problem linking my great-aunt Ellen Gooch to James Browne.  Ellen Gooch came with her family in 1852 on the Washington Irving.  I understand her Dad (Thomas Caesar Gooch) died on board and her mother (Charlotte Gooch) died two days after they arrived in Melbourne.  The next information I have is Ellen went to Tasmania to be a governess to the Sir Valentine Fleming.  At some stage she met a "James Browne" and in 1857 they had a daughter called "Anna Edith Browne" born in 1857.  I also had another link that said they had a child which was stillborn. Then Ellen moved to New Zealand in about 1860 and settled in Tokomairiro, now called Milton.  She was a governess for James Smith and then a teacher at the local school.  She married Peter McGill, a flour miller in 1865 and they had 5 children.  Ellen or Helen as she was known died in 1899.

What I  to know - does anybody on this site have any information about "James Browne" Tasmania or Melbourne, when he married Ellen Gooch and what happened to James and their daughter Anna Edith before 1860.

Hope someone can solve this mystery for us.

Maryanne

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen Gooch
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 07:14 GMT (UK) »
Tas Linc has Anna Edith BROWNE's birth 29 Dec 1857 Hobart. Father - James BROWNE, mechanic, mother Ellen BROWNE nee GOOCH.. Ellen was the informant and resided at Church St. A note also says she was baptised at St David's.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lcb/

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 07:24 GMT (UK) »
You may already have seen the birth register entry:
BROWNE, Anna Edith, born 29 December 1857
Father: Browne, James
Mother: Gooch, Ellen
Record ID:
NAME_INDEXES:962706
Resource: RGD33/1/7 no 1188
The entry shows that the mother Ellen BROWNE, formerly GOOCH, Church St, is the informant.  Father's occupation: listed as a mechanic.  The register has no name for the child but added later "Baptised St Davids Anna Edith"

https://linctas.ent.sirsidynix.net.au/client/en_AU/names/

Do you know where Ellen was with Sir Valentine FLEMING?  There is an Ellen GOOCH having a child registered Launceston, 1854.  The father of the child is listed as John FIELD, farmer and there is a notation saying that the parents are not married.  However, on looking at information about Valentine FLEMING he seems to have been in Hobart, at least for his marriage 1852 and the births of his children in the early 1850s so I think this is probably not your person.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 07:30 GMT (UK) »

Can you list all the information on the marriage certificate?

BDM NZ marriage
1865/9355   Ellen   BROWNE   m.   Peter   McGILL

BDM NZ death
1885/3089   McGILL   Ellen Annie Gooch   19Y

Can you list all the details on her death certificate.  I am seeing six births to this couple, NZ?

Offline MaryanneR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 07:30 GMT (UK) »
Tas Linc has Anna Edith BROWNE's birth 29 Dec 1857 Hobart. Father - James BROWNE, mechanic, mother Ellen BROWNE nee GOOCH.. Ellen was the informant and resided at Church St. A note also says she was baptised at St David's.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lcb/

Yes, this is the information I already have.  Thanks

Offline MaryanneR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 07:32 GMT (UK) »
You may already have seen the birth register entry:
BROWNE, Anna Edith, born 29 December 1857
Father: Browne, James
Mother: Gooch, Ellen
Record ID:
NAME_INDEXES:962706
Resource: RGD33/1/7 no 1188
The entry shows that the mother Ellen BROWNE, formerly GOOCH, Church St, is the informant.  Father's occupation: listed as a mechanic.  The register has no name for the child but added later "Baptised St Davids Anna Edith"

https://linctas.ent.sirsidynix.net.au/client/en_AU/names/

Do you know where Ellen was with Sir Valentine FLEMING?  There is an Ellen GOOCH having a child registered Launceston, 1854.  The father of the child is listed as John FIELDfarmer and there is a notation saying that the parents are not married.  However, on looking at information about Valentine FLEMING he seems to have been in Hobart, at least for his marriage 1852 and the births of his children in the early 1850s so I think this is probably not your person.

Judith

Sorry this is not the Ellen I am looking for.

Offline MaryanneR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 07:41 GMT (UK) »

Can you list all the information on the marriage certificate?

BDM NZ marriage
1865/9355   Ellen   BROWNE   m.   Peter   McGILL

BDM NZ death
1885/3089   McGILL   Ellen Annie Gooch   19Y

Can you list all the details on her death certificate.  I am seeing six births to this couple, NZ?

Yes I know she married Peter McGill and had children in NZ.  What I want to know was she (?) married to a James Browne in either Melbourne or Tasmania and what happened to their daughter.

Offline MaryanneR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 07:47 GMT (UK) »
What I  to know - does anybody on this site have any information about "James Browne" Tasmania or Melbourne, when he married Ellen Gooch and what happened to James and their daughter Anna Edith before 1860.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 08:06 GMT (UK) »

You need more information than you are using here. Does the marriage certificate describe Ellen as a widow.....who are the witnesses (why is she in NZ)?

What children are named on her death certificate........how many years in NZ......how many years in Australia...any mention of a previous marriage.....etc.

What BDM certificates do you have?

This for Washington Irving, arr Dec 1852
GOOCH Thomas  52
GOOCH Charlotte  50
GOOCH Ellen 23
GOOCH Henry L 14
GOOCH Edward 10
GOOCH  Thomas  1

If Thomas is a baby he could possibly be a child born to Charlotte....or is he a child born to Ellen?

So far I am seeing her as Ellen....where do you see her as Helen?

Where is the brother / sister of Ellen, your direct ancestor, when this family is in Victoria. Is your ancestor also in Victoria?