Author Topic: Ellen Gooch  (Read 4656 times)

Offline MaryanneR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen Gooch
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 01 April 18 07:09 BST (UK) »
Ellen Gooch (Helen) and Peter McGill were my great great Grandparents. I see that you have already been given a link to Ellen's obituary. Unfortunately, I have no information on her first marriage but if you have anything further I would be very interested. I haven't been able to find any information on whether her first marriage was in Australia or NZ. There was a James Brown (no e) that helped Peter McGill in Milton, but he was certainly alive after she married Peter. And there doesn't appear to be any mention of children from her first marriage, so I assumed they didn't survive.

The obituary for Peter McGill is:
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/BH18941023.2.23?query=Thomas%20Gooch

I think that Edward and Henry came to NZ with Ellen. Edward stayed and made a life in Takaka but perhaps Henry returned to Australia.

If you have info about the Gooch family in England, I would also be interested.

Sorry, not much help from what you have got.

Hi Vanessa

Lovely to hear from a distant relation.  Who were your grandparents and parents?  The James Brown you speak of in Milton is Peter McGill's brother-in-law as his first wife was Jane Brown.  I think Ellen married in Australia as she and James Browne had a daughter called Anna Edith but sadly she passed away in infancy.

Here is the birth record

https://linctas.ent.sirsidynix.net.au/client/en_AU/names/search/results?qu=Ellen&qu=Gooch

I still don't have any definitive information about when Edward came to New Zealand and my Aunty (Christine Hayden, nee Gooch) is really desperate to find out this information. I do know Henry stayed in Australia, married and had a family there.

I have lots of information about the Gooch family in England and here in New Zealand and I can put you in touch with Aunty Christine if you like.

Would love to be in touch off line - my email address is nzscorpy@outlook.com

Maryanne