Author Topic: DNA newbie question  (Read 792 times)

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DNA newbie question
« on: Tuesday 16 January 18 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Apologies for my ignorance. I have just got my Ancestry DNA results back with 162 4th Cousins or closer. For some of these matches e.g. Confidence High for 4th-6th cousin matches, if I click on the users names to look at the possibility of contacting them it then says "xxxx is not on your DNA match list", "This person is either not a DNA match or has not yet taken a DNA test".

How can I have Confidence High for a match and then it say this person is not either a DNA match or not yet taken a test?

Regards

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
Re: DNA newbie question
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 20:52 GMT (UK) »
There seems to be a problem with DNA matching today. It sometimes happens. When this happens, firstly try quitting your browser and trying again.
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. Also raised a query with Ancestry and their reply was ‘Your DNA matches are updated as they come available. Your profile is reindexed at a much slower rate. That is what you are seeing. The profile has not been reindexed to update that this person is a match. It is a nice feature, when it is current. Otherwise it is very misleading’ . They advise to wait 2-4 weeks for the indexing to be complete.

Does this make sense?

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 21:52 GMT (UK) »
One further question about this DNA sampling. Would Ancestry have to hand over results to the security services if they asked Ancestry for them ??

Malky

Offline aussiecandy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 05:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I can't answer your questions. But 2-4 weeks seems an awfully long time. Have you uploaded your raw DNA data to other websites such as FTDNA, Gedmatch, MyHeritage? It's free to transfer from Ancestry to FTDNA, there is an unlocking fee if you want to use their chromosome browser. MyHeritage now has a chromosome browser which is currently free, as are Gedmatch tools. There's also a great website called DNA Painter where you can paint and visualise your matches from Gedmatch, FTDNA, some of the other companies too but not Ancestry because Ancestry doesn't provide the segment data needed for painting the DNA matches.

Thanks. Also raised a query with Ancestry and their reply was ‘Your DNA matches are updated as they come available. Your profile is reindexed at a much slower rate. That is what you are seeing. The profile has not been reindexed to update that this person is a match. It is a nice feature, when it is current. Otherwise it is very misleading’ . They advise to wait 2-4 weeks for the indexing to be complete.

Does this make sense?
ANDERSON, BRIDGE, LILLEY, LINNETT, POTTER, QUERRY, SKINGSLEY, TAYLOR, WES(T)LEY :ESS
BLINCO, HOWELL, PRUE, HICKMAN :WAR
BRIDGE, BEARD, CORP, KEECH, JONES, FRY, WHITAKER, MAYHEW, REE :LDN/MDX
BURGESS, CARPENTER, CATER, DIVER, JARVIS, JONES,  :CAM
FRY, HOLE, MONGER, MATCHWICK, NASH, WELLS :SRY
ASHBY, CHADBAND, KEECH, OLIVER, SHELSTON :NTH
BEALE, HAWKINS, MORGAN, PEARCE, SMITH, TULL, WILD :HAM
BEARD, CARTER, MALPASS/MALPUS, WORKMAN :GLS
CLARK, DRAPER, HANSLOW, LAWLEY, REE, WINWOOD :SAL
THUSTIN :BKM