Author Topic: Lincolnshire Shin Kicking  (Read 778 times)

Offline RuslanPashayev

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lincolnshire Shin Kicking
« on: Tuesday 16 January 18 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Dear Friends,
I would highly appreciate any info on Lincolnshire shin kicking contests from the 1920-1930's. Please see the details below. Thanks. Kind regards, Ruslan.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Lincolnshire Shin Kicking
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 16:53 GMT (UK) »
One to add to eccentric events in the county. I was aware of two women fighting stripped to the waist at Ruskington? around 1850. This is recorded in one of the multi volume series History of Lincolnshire.
I think shin kicking and kick boxing really beats that. Wait for further details.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Something similar seems to have gone on in parts of Lancashire, where clogs (wooden soled footwear with "irons" fastened to the soles) were worn. Ouch!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline RuslanPashayev

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 16:57 GMT (UK) »
I think two men would just grab each other by collars and start kicking each others shins, who falls on the ground first loses the match. I dont think it was a fair back fall wrestling. Also looks like they used "fair shoes and NO padding".

Offline RuslanPashayev

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 16:58 GMT (UK) »
In Lancashire-Yorkshire men would be stripped to their waists...looks like in Gloucester and Lincolnshire they were wearing some sort of jackets with collars to apply firm holds at.

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 17:33 GMT (UK) »
You learn something every day - I thought that was something only bairns in Hull (East Riding, Yorkshire) did when I was young.  One thing about playing that game was you became very nifty on your feet  ;D
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Ruslan ,not the same topic but because I   opened it the one about wrestling has gone-!

however the isbn  number of the book is :-        9780854097647 .
It is available as a used copy on Amazon if that is of any help. I could not bring up the poem alone.
Viktoria.

Offline RuslanPashayev

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Viktoria appreciate.