Author Topic: Family from Ireland  (Read 1005 times)

Offline Paulfinn7979

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family from Ireland
« on: Tuesday 16 January 18 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am looking for some help to try and find out about my family from Ireland. I know a fair bit about Mary Kelly nee Clancy my 3rd great grandmother but know nothing about her father Michael Clancy and her mother Mary Clancy (can't make out the maiden name can you)? Any information on these people would be great. Attached is Mary Kelly's death certificate. Many thanks

Offline Paulfinn7979

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Family from Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Attached

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Looks like Hooper or Harper but as I can't enlarge it I can't make it out either.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 20:37 GMT (UK) »
If you e-mail Scotlandspeople they will generally send you a better copy of the death certificate (at no cost). That may help you decide what the mother’s maiden name was. To me it looks a bit like Harpur, but that could easily be wrong.

Mary’s birth and her parent’s marriage are long before the start of statutory registration in Ireland (1864), so you are reliant on church records to trace either. They are not complete. Not every parish has records for the 1830s and earlier. I searched the Irish RC church records on Ancestry for a baptism for a Mary Clancy c 1839 to parents Michael & Mary and found 4, but none had a mothers’ name anything like the one on this death certificate.

It’s always worth checking all the Scottish censuses that the family appeared in to see if any gives a place of birth other than “Ireland”. Sometimes they did.

Where did Mary & John Kelly marry? Any clues there?
Elwyn

Offline Paulfinn7979

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks guys.
It mentions in the 1861 census that she was born in county of Sligo she married John Kelly in Kirkcaldy on the 13th of Feb 1853.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 15:20 GMT (UK) »
About half the RC parishes in Co. Sligo don't have baptism records for c 1839. (For example, the town of Sligo's records start in 1858), so I suspect Mary was baptised in one of those without records, since she doesn't appear to be on Ancestry, which has most RC parish records.
Elwyn

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Looks like Mary's age is a bit out on her death cert. , age given as 48 on the 1881 Census.
That would make her around 20 for an 1853 marriage(born c. 1833).

ev

Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records