Author Topic: Samoa - Landells and Netzler  (Read 3963 times)

Offline westernwombat

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Samoa - Landells and Netzler
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Samoa Times and South Seas Gazette, Volume 3, Issue 123, 7 February 1880 Census list of foreigners in Apia.

NZ Papers Past (free to search of course) has NETZLER and LANDELLS (3 of them) on the same page of the above paper.

JM
could be - Charles T Netzler was an American restaurant owner, the 3 "Landells" are "Yandell, half-cast".

But I will look harder at these Samoan newspapers. Thx

Earliest I found was an advertisement for W.J. Landells as Blacksmith, Horse Shoer, etc - Samoa Weekly Herald of  11 May, 1895
This adv seems to have been repeated regularly after that time (no doubt you found these also, @majm).

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Some excellent finds JM.  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Samoa Times and South Seas Gazette, Volume 3, Issue 123, 7 February 1880 Census list of foreigners in Apia.

NZ Papers Past (free to search of course) has NETZLER and LANDELLS (3 of them) on the same page of the above paper.

JM
could be - Charles T Netzler was an American restaurant owner, the 3 "Landells" are "Yandell, half-cast".

But I will look harder at these Samoan newspapers. Thx

Earliest I found was an advertisement for W.J. Landells as Blacksmith, Horse Shoer, etc - Samoa Weekly Herald of  11 May, 1895
This adv seems to have been repeated regularly after that time (no doubt you found these also, @majm).

May I please mention that this post  has additional paragraphs added to it AFTER it had been read by me.  There is NO indication by the OP to acknowledge these additional paragraphs/modifications.  I recall reading the post late last night.  I am in NSW.  It is 10:26 (a.m.) at the moment.

I am concerned that there may be other modifications (without any supporting indication) to other posts on this thread thus altering the continuity and integrity of it.

May I again urge the OP to give serious consideration to obtaining the 1954 Qld BDM death rego for William.

JM

ADD.... 09:26 hours plus 1 hour for NSW summertime is 10:26 hours... ie about 1/2 hr after OPs profile read Last Active
... ::)
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 23:29 GMT (UK) »
OPs light was on when I commenced my recent reply.

ADD

Last Active 08:55 (a.m.) so just on half an hour before I posted.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Some excellent finds JM.  :)

I read Ruskie's post last night,  too. 

I dont recall re-reading the OPs  post at that time.

JM.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 11:43 GMT (UK) »

Offline westernwombat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 12:01 GMT (UK) »
I have been otherwise occupied for a week or so. The cross-post in Australia forum is repeated here for convenience -

The death certificate for WJ Landells (Qld) is rather terse.
I summarize:

He died 17 Dec 1954 in Queensland, aged 87.
It is recorded that he had lived in Melbourne; 30 years in Queensland.

The informant is his stepson, EW Robertson. He had 3 wives, all married in Apia, Samoa; #1 Phobie Netzler #2 Etta Netzler #3 Marguerite Robertson formerly Logan.
His age, at marriage date - 32, 37, 45 years respectively
Surviving children:    By #1: 0     By #2: William James, age 50    By #3: Faith, age 42
Deceased children:    1 female, whose mother = #2.

I obtained this a week or so ago. This is in the main consistent with my information prior to obtaining the certificate.

The information that is hard to rationalize is the William James, aged 50.
Birth date was therefore 1904 (this is a 1954 death cert).
Coincidentally? This is the age of the stepson (who is the informant), and in a tree (w/o evidence) that I have seen, a William James Landells, b 1904 is listed.

I cannot imagine that his stepson EW Robertson, who published a statement in a local Samoa newspaper in 1923, to announce that he was changing his surname back from Landells to Robertson, would have been known as William James Landells (when his relinquished name was Edward William Landells) -

Samoanische Zeitung, Volume 23, Issue 45, 9 November 1923
"Public Notice. It is my desire to be known henceforth by my original name of Robertson,  and I hereby notify that instead ot Edward William Landells I shall be henceforth Edward William Robertson. Apia, 7th Nov., 1923. "   

I haven't located a 'candidate' for this other son, William James Landells b. 1904.

At that time, I believe that he (EW Robertson, informant), his mother, and step father WJ Landells were all in Samoa and WJ Landells was carrying on his horse-shoeing etc business (there are weekly advertisements in the local newspapers, over many years).

A newspaper report suggests to me that Landells' house and business was intentionally set afire (but not burned down) and this may have encouraged his departure. There are newspaper adv. over prior years when he is attempting to sell his property/properties  in Samoa.

I have not discovered when any of the family departed Samoa - but Samoa had gone through turbulant times in all the period of residence of WJ Landells (1896 -?), and none of those events had encouraged them to depart.
I believe step[son EW Robertson married in Samoa, and that he and his wife later lived in Qld and died there.

Perhaps some of the experienced others may like to offer an interpretation of some of this?

Offline MIJAHRN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 00:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Sorry to be random but not sure where to start but this chat forum might be good. Im looking for photos of my Great Grandpa who was an Engineer on William Landells Motor Boat "The Meg" over in Samoa. It launched on the 18/06/1919. My Grandpa' name is Manuel Silva Jr and his cousin Paul Scanlan was the Captain of the boat. Just wondering if William family may have pictures of the crew that was on that boat as i would like to put a face to my Great Grandpas name. I have attached small paragraphs of info from newspaper archives. If anyone can help please get intouch or reply to this post. Thank you.

Offline westernwombat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 02:09 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I can't help at all on your search. I was not aware that he had a boat, "The Meg". Based on WJ Landells' business advertisements, I was guessing the year that he left Samoa for Australia (Queensland), but I will certainly look at Papers Past for 1919 onwards with more care.