Author Topic: Landells and Netzler - Queensland  (Read 708 times)

Offline Westward

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Landells and Netzler - Queensland
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 25 January 18 13:29 GMT (UK) »
I am very inexperienced at this..
Nice to know that those FS records are reliable. I have taken the "..herthe" as the transcriber's inability to decipher the handwriting - which we could guess as Henrietta hence Etta (familiar name).
My intuition is that a birth record would be more likely to have the parents' names correct, than a death record - so I would be more inclined to accept Etta than Phoebe as mother of Oscar, Isabella.

You're doing fine - everyone has to learn. Tracing records yourself is a great teaching experience. When you are looking at records online just remember that "family trees"  are only as good as the research done by the person who owns the tree - whereas church and civil (government) records can usually be relied on.

Your surmise that a birth record would have the correct parents cf. the death record is correct.
My only exception to taking a birth/marriage record over a death record is some of my ancestors  seemed to lie quite often about their age, on their marriage records & on the birth records of their children  :D . You may also find in earlier times that children born outside of marriage may invent a father for their marriage certificate.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.