Author Topic: Help needed please Margaret MacDonald  (Read 3662 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed please
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 09:37 GMT (UK) »
What was Margaret's mother's name on her birth cert?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline carolineasb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 11:19 GMT (UK) »
If your father was born and adopted immediately after birth, then this couldn't have been a formal/legal adoption as this was not a legal procedure until 1930.

Does his birth certificate state his mother's occupation? Have you checked valuation rolls for 1925 for where she lived?
Tannahill:  Ayrshire, Renfrewshire
Mulgrew/Milgrew:  Glasgow
Canning: Renfrewshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 11:45 GMT (UK) »

Does his birth certificate state his mother's occupation?

See Replies #5 and 6. Mother's occ was stated as pawnbroker's assistant.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Budgie1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for delay.  Ive been working

This is what Info I have. As I say, This may not be even the correct Family tree but is what I have.  If its the correct Mother then this info is correct.   Thats what it hinges on.

The Birth for Margaret MacDonald who I think is my dads mum is from Scotlandspeople.  Year of birth 1906 (Statutory registers Births 644/9 1542)
Margarets Mum was called Margaret MacLeod and Dad was John MacDonald
According to the 1911 census John. (born in Arscaig.  No record of him there though as I took a trip there on Sunday) and Margaret (born Uig, Lewis)They had 6 children.  Catherine Ann (12) who died in 1918 of the Spanish Flu I take it, There was Mary Elysbeth (10) who I can only find under Mary Eliza. William (10), Angusina (6), Margaret (4) and Christine but can only find a Christian under this (1).     Looks like Elysbeth and William would be twin maybe
John MacDonald 30 y.o.    married Margaret Macleod  20 y.o.  7th July 1897 in Glasgow Free Church of Scotland

John MacDonald       Died 2nd April–1939 (Statutory registers Deaths 644/9 329) there was a correction on death certificate.(retired Schoolmaster)

John MacDonalds Father was William MacDonald and Mother was Catherine MacKay.  (Police Constable)

Margaret Macleods Father was angus MacLeod and Mother was Mary ???  cant make out the name

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 18:37 GMT (UK) »
There's an interesting death for a Margaret Macdonald mmn Mcleod, aged 83, in 1990, Glasgow, Martha Street.

Other deaths with these surnames are in Kincardine and Portree.

It may not be correct but worth a try. Also, if she died before 1974, mmn would not show on index.

Gadget

Offline Budgie1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 18:46 GMT (UK) »
I just checked and seen that.  I cannot get access though as its to recent.  I will either need to send for certificate or visit Edinburgh I think.  Looks good though

Thank You

Martin

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Margaret McLeod's mother's mn looks like Fraser  :)

Gadget

Offline Budgie1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 18:55 GMT (UK) »
I thought it was a G at the start, but now you say that, it does look like Fraser when smaller but not when enlarged.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 19:05 GMT (UK) »
I've had a look through the 1925 Voters Roll on Ancestry and there is an Edward McDonald, Mrs Margaret McDonald and Mary Ann McDonald listed at 252 Garscube Road. I think this family is in Paisley in 1911 but in 1901 they are in Glasgow and have a daughter Margaret age 6 months.
From various records on Ancestry it appears this Margaret went to America and married Homer (Harry) Moheng in 1928. They had a daughter born in Glasgow in 1932 named Margaret Veronica Moheng ( Sp have the birth recorded in Hillhead, which is the same reg district as James O'Brien McDonald in 1925).
I am struggling to see why you have opted for the 1906 Margaret MacDonald. Is there something you know that points to this one?
Also the birth certificate for James is very unusual. you don't normally have adoptive parents surname included. With illegitimate births the middle name of the child often points to the name of the father. Is it possible that James remained with his paternal family?
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)