Author Topic: Help reading/understanding WW1 record please  (Read 2970 times)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Help reading/understanding WW1 record please
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 19:35 GMT (UK) »
How was LJ's mum Annie's maiden name discovered? It's not on the Civil Registration Birth Index and there wasn't a maiden name on FreeBMD.

FreeBMD is excellent for finding BMD possibles within a range of years.  If you know the name and approximate year of birth the General Register Office can give you the mother's maiden name.  You need to register, but the site is free to search (and certificates are cheaper than some rival sites!)  With the maiden name you can search for siblings on GRO and a marriage on FreeBMD.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp

The GRO will also give ages for deaths - very useful!

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PurpleOwl333

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 19:48 GMT (UK) »
That's gold Philip, thank you very much!  :)

How was LJ's mum Annie's maiden name discovered? It's not on the Civil Registration Birth Index and there wasn't a maiden name on FreeBMD.

FreeBMD is excellent for finding BMD possibles within a range of years.  If you know the name and approximate year of birth the General Register Office can give you the mother's maiden name.  You need to register, but the site is free to search (and certificates are cheaper than some rival sites!)  With the maiden name you can search for siblings on GRO and a marriage on FreeBMD.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp

The GRO will also give ages for deaths - very useful!

Philip

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Just looking at the signatures for the 2 marriages of Leonard James NEW. They look very similar and he's a porter on both. :-\

Bessie Caroline HARDING was born March 15 1893 according to her school record. Doing a free search on the 1939 register (FMPast)-she's listed as Bessie C AYLING in Croydon. I played around with the birth month/day and came up with March 16 1893. If you're not too bothered by just putting March 1893 on your tree I guess that would do. :) Otherwise the birth cert would be the way to go.

Good luck! (and I forgot to say "welcome to RootsChat!").

Maureen

Offline PurpleOwl333

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the welcome and info Maureen, what a friendly bunch you all are  ;D

Ah yes, Bessie, I've spent many an hour with my great-grandmother of late. She was a Bill Gummer at 18 (whatever the heck that is!) Thanks to Philip's link earlier I've indulged in getting her birth cert as a PDF so soon that particular mystery will be solved. After stalking, er I mean researching her pretty thoroughly, now all I need to find are photos!  ;D There are very strong traits which came from my grandmother through my mother to me and my eldest daughter, both physical and personality-wise so I'm pretty sure she'd of been similar.

Bye for now,
Laura

Just looking at the signatures for the 2 marriages of Leonard James NEW. They look very similar and he's a porter on both. :-\

Bessie Caroline HARDING was born March 15 1893 according to her school record. Doing a free search on the 1939 register (FMPast)-she's listed as Bessie C AYLING in Croydon. I played around with the birth month/day and came up with March 16 1893. If you're not too bothered by just putting March 1893 on your tree I guess that would do. :) Otherwise the birth cert would be the way to go.

Good luck! (and I forgot to say "welcome to RootsChat!").

Maureen
Maureen

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 18 January 18 09:37 GMT (UK) »
A first reaction was to say that a Bill Gummer was the same as a Bill Sticker, someone who posts notices and placards about the place (a sort of early Facebook). (Always being harassed by the authorities -  Bill Stickers will be prosecuted).

However, in the next column on the census is the employers business.  The second word is Manufacturer but I have no guess for the first and this may hold a clue.  You may find that perhaps someone here could come up with a sensible idea, or a post on the Handwriting and Deciphering board asking folk to look at the 1911 Camberwell for Bessie C Harding born 1893 may produce an answer.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline T'YeadonKid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 18 January 18 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Re: PurpleOwl333 "His first wife remarried in 1921 and on her marriage cert it states she's a widow...!"
I came across a similar thing in my tree; found g-father as "widower" on marriage cert to g-mother in 1920. Also found g-father had married some 20 years earlier and found details of 2nd marriage, also in 1920, for his first wife!
One reason I've come across for these types of marriages is because official divorce was quite expensive for your average person, and difficult.
T

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 18 January 18 12:08 GMT (UK) »
A first reaction was to say that a Bill Gummer was the same as a Bill Sticker, someone who posts notices and placards about the place (a sort of early Facebook). (Always being harassed by the authorities -  Bill Stickers will be prosecuted).

However, in the next column on the census is the employers business.  The second word is Manufacturer but I have no guess for the first and this may hold a clue.  You may find that perhaps someone here could come up with a sensible idea, or a post on the Handwriting and Deciphering board asking folk to look at the 1911 Camberwell for Bessie C Harding born 1893 may produce an answer.

MaxD

:) :) She's the only "bill gummer" on the entire 1911 census.

I think the missing word might be "scent"?

Maureen

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 18 January 18 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Maybe she put the labels on the boxes.
She would have used a glue brush to paste the boxes & then stuck on the labels.
A dept. I worked in had women doing exactly that.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline PurpleOwl333

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 19 January 18 02:44 GMT (UK) »
I came across an interesting site http://www.worldthroughthelens.com/family-history/old-occupations.phpwhich lists the old occupations from the 1911 census and bill sticker was the closest I could find. I couldn't read the next columns and didn't realise 'til now that there's a Handwriting and Deciphering board here  :) I'll be using that in the future no doubt, thanks.

MaxD