Author Topic: Ancestry Genetic Communities  (Read 2345 times)

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry Genetic Communities
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 January 18 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heywood, just a question concerning this info which you posted.

'Originally, the test showed 53% Irish which has now been modified by Ancestry to show Ethnicity Estimate 53% Ireland/Scotland/Wales.
Then it shows Connacht, Ireland - Mayo and Sligo.'

I have a 26% Ireland/Scotland/Wales ethnicity estimate but where then did you find the 'Connacht' and further info.  I can't seem to find anything else against my Irish figure.

Thanks, Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 21 January 18 16:02 GMT (UK) »
As I said if I remember correctly, the figures were 53% Ireland; 34%  ??? Great Britain- I can’t quite recall. Then Ancestry modified results - perhaps when Ethnicity Estimate etc. was introduced.

If you look at that box- EE with the pie chart etc there is a ‘discover your DNA story’s box within. Click on that and the EE is broken down.

My Ireland etc shows what I said previously and my Great Britain shows Northern England and the Midlands and also Wales and the West Midlands as the two sub-groups.

I have not found any Welsh ancestry yet.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 21 January 18 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Do they really lump Scottish, Irish and Welsh together? Do they narrow that down at all?
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 21 January 18 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Mine is, but then I only have Connacht Ireland showing.  :-\
As far as I know, I have no Scottish or Welsh ancestry.

You would have to see what is shown for someone who shares 2 or more of those countries.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 21 January 18 16:20 GMT (UK) »
In my case, I suppose, I am happy with the results as generally, they give what I expected plus I can see possibility in the connections shown.
For others though, the results are perhaps too vague and don’t help with their research.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 21 January 18 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Mine is, but then I only have Connacht Ireland showing.  :-\
As far as I know, I have no Scottish or Welsh ancestry.

You would have to see what is shown for someone who shares 2 or more of those countries.

I asked because I know I have Scottish ancestry but, even though I have plausible family anecdotes about an Irish connection, I've never been able to substantiate them. So, a Scottish/Irish/Welsh verdict isn't going to help.
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 21 January 18 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Jill

I've been reading several books recently about the ancestral DNA make-up of Europeans in connection with the archaeological findings, trying to get some understanding of what it means in DNA terms to be European.

The books are about migrations and history as opposed to genealogy.

There have been several migrations to and from Ireland over the last 3000 years. it's a complicated and involved story. But the shortened version is that what is recognisably considered to be "irish" dna has migrated to both Scotland and Wales (and of course The USA, new Zealand and Australia) It appears both ancient and comparably modern population migrations are far more common than we generally think. This it what I believe makes Ethnicity Estimates rather pointless. They are too far removed to be of much use.

There is a belief (or myth/legend) that the western Scots are named after the Scotti migrating from Northern Ireland centuries ago. Wales is not a long sea crossing from Ireland - travel in both directions seems more than likely. It makes the genetic make-up of the British very mixed indeed.

Of more use (I hope) are the allocated Genetic Communities which narrow your dna matches to a more specific region provided a distinct DNA signature/cluster can be identified.

It's possible that if you have enough Scottish ancestry in the last couple of hundred years, it can be allocated to a specific area of Scotland.

From my own perspective it remains to be seen how helpful these matches are.
Davis - Berkshire & London
Sutcliffe - Yorkshire & London
Harrington - Ireland and London
Fuller - Cambridgeshire and Essex
Waldron/Waldren - Devon & London
Frisby and Lee - Leicestershire
Hollingsworth - Essex
Williams - Ireland? and London
Ellis, Reed & Temple - London
Lane - ?
Surplice/Surplus - Cambridgeshire
Elwood - Cambridgeshire

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 21 January 18 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Jill
I should have also said that if you do have irish relations then hopefully you'll have a genetic community allocated in a region of Ireland when you get your results
Davis - Berkshire & London
Sutcliffe - Yorkshire & London
Harrington - Ireland and London
Fuller - Cambridgeshire and Essex
Waldron/Waldren - Devon & London
Frisby and Lee - Leicestershire
Hollingsworth - Essex
Williams - Ireland? and London
Ellis, Reed & Temple - London
Lane - ?
Surplice/Surplus - Cambridgeshire
Elwood - Cambridgeshire

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 21 January 18 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Jill. I obviously haven't studied the subject anywhere near as much as you have, so I'm grateful for your input.

I hadn't grasped that the Ethnicity Estimate is way back - as you say, migration rather than genealogy. I have a lot to learn on this subject and, once I have my DNA results, I shall try to study the findings more closely.

I have a particular area of Dublin - Blackrock - mentioned by my (now deceased) auntie so would hope that might come up, though not sure under which of the 4 provinces mentioned. Actually, I'm rather hoping it doesn't 'come up' because, as I said, I can't find any proof - and we're talking as recent as the early 19th century - so at least that wouldn't shoot a bloomin' great hole in my research!!
HELP!!!