Author Topic: My DNA Experience as a Newbie  (Read 4855 times)

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: My DNA Experience as a Newbie
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 04 March 18 15:01 GMT (UK) »
The percentage is based upon the percentage within that companies database that’s why each result will be different.

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Searching the names Chiddicks, Keyes, Wootton, Daniels, Lake, Lukes, Day, Barnes

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 04 March 18 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Hundreds of good blogs on the topic of ethnicity estimates

Searching the names Chiddicks, Keyes, Wootton, Daniels, Lake, Lukes, Day, Barnes

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 04 March 18 17:23 GMT (UK) »
The percentage is based upon the percentage within that companies database that’s why each result will be different.

I am sorry but in my opinion you do not know what you are talking about.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 04 March 18 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hundreds of good blogs on the topic of ethnicity estimates

In my opinion it might be a good idea if you read a few of them before imparting your alleged wisdom on the subject. This may be harsh but the way I see it your posts can seriously lead people astray and encourage them to spend money they would not otherwise do.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 05 March 18 00:32 GMT (UK) »

Not sure what you mean but...

Your sample, for ethnic regions purposes, is compared to company stock samples. It is NOT compared to a database the company holds from its other customers. You are not being compared (for ethnicity) to everyone else.

The company population 'region/ethnic' stock samples can be very small, as few as less than a dozen samples for a region in some cases.

How can they possibly know the difference between ancestors from England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Northern France, Belgium and Demmark from hundreds of years ago, when they only compare your sample to a few dozen other 'stock' samples? And all these places shared more or less the same ethnicity, Western European, anyway?

A more honest ethnicity result would say something like

'Your ethnic origin is 85% North Western European, 15% uncertain'

But they wouldn't sell as many tests that way, especially in the huge American market

The whole 'ethnicity' percent side of it is a rip off and people are spending money, money they might need for other things. £100 is a lot to fork out in one go for a lot of people.

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 05 March 18 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Ok I used the incorrect terminology when I said the database what sally said is correct.

Not sure why your taking that tone David I’m offering no pearls of wisdom on the subject the clue is in the title “newbie”.

I’m offering an experience of my testing from start to finish.

People test for whatever reason they choose. As a genealogist the matches are the key thing for me the ethnicity is not important.

To test solely for an ethnicity estimate does seem a pointless exercise to me. Surely you would want to test to match with others????

I’m not trying to sell anything just explain my approach that’s all and yes I’m still learning....

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 05 March 18 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Davidft,
"In my opinion it might be a good idea if you read a few of them before imparting your alleged wisdom on the subject.  This may be harsh but the way I see it your posts can seriously lead people astray and encourage them to spend money they would not otherwise do."

Let's try and keep these pages friendly :)

It is up to any individual purchasing a DNA test to read up about exactly what it will give them before purchasing. If they take what Ancestry and other sellers say about ethnicity reports they are likely in for a big shock when their results come back, they are not what DNA tests do best, and they should not be sold as such.

My advice to anyone considering buying a test kit is to read about it from as many points of view as possible, from the chiddicks of this world, to the ISOGG pages, to the excellent articles in Lost Cousins newsletters, and a number of others I haven't mentioned.

Regards Margaret

STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 05 March 18 12:53 GMT (UK) »

Let's try and keep these pages friendly :)

It is up to any individual purchasing a DNA test to read up about exactly what it will give them before purchasing. If they take what Ancestry and other sellers say about ethnicity reports they are likely in for a big shock when their results come back, they are not what DNA tests do best, and they should not be sold as such.

Hi Sugarfizzle

Thank you for your post.

I admit I was frustrated by chiddick's post and that led me to be less than diplomatic. Truth is in my opinion his "blog" does not add anything that has not be said 100 times before on this site, and usually in a more informative way. Still that said I have decided to give his thread a miss in future and for anyone else reading it, it will be a case of caveat emptor !

Regarding your point that it is up to the individual purchasing the test to make themselves fully aware what they are signing up to. Whilst I agree with this we know from reading the posts on here that a lot do not do that, they don't even read the help pages on the sites from which they have purchased the test. Given that, that is why I took so strongly against chiddick's posts (which can be misleading and downright wrong IMO) but on reflection its not by job to police them and if people get misled by them then that unfortunately is their lookout.

David

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 05 March 18 12:59 GMT (UK) »
No problem I’ll happily not post anymore on the subject.