Author Topic: pt 1 Test Matthew Brown, Merchant ,Kilmarnock, June 1674 listing approx 180 pers  (Read 1548 times)

Offline mattfrombann

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
 (Part 1 of) List of persons mentioned in testament dative of Matthew Brown, merchant in town of Kilmarnock, deceased June 1674 . (CC9/7/43/117). Contains one of my Bankhead ancestors and about 177 other persons in and around Ayrshire. I hope the names may be of interest to other researchers. Note some of the place names/surnames are an optimistic guess as I am unfamiliar with them

Thomas Brown (nephew to defunct), Jonet Tailyor (widow of defunct), William Tailyor merchant in Kilmarnock, William Dunlop of Bloik, Mardon and Janet Boyd daughters to John Boyd in Strand of Kilmarnock, Andrew Brown in Duncanyemer, John Mair elder portioner of Loudon, Mr James Brown chirurgeon in Irvine, Hew Poor in Lytle Blair, Janet Blair in Maynes, John Muggersland in Craigstones, Alexander Findlay in Thomas Hill,, Thomas Steivinstoun in Holmes, Janet Steivinstoun his daughter, Margaret Brown relict of late William Sloss skinner in Kilmarnock, Thomas Wilson in Litle Dean, Margaret Allasoun in Glaister of Loudon, John Browne in Tounend of Tempiiltoun, John Adam weaver in Tounend of Kilmarnock alias Moslet, Bessie Wallace relict of late Robert Tannahill in Croft of Kilmarnock, Bessie Adam in Dycke, Robert Young weaver in Waterside, Robert Mitchell merchand there, Thomas Martein in Bridgend, Margaret Brown in Peacockbank, John Dunlop in Cassiltoun, Peter Muir cutler in Kilmarnock, Andrew Findlay coallheuar (?) and his spouse, Thomas Hillhouse shoemaker in Stewartoun, Andro Wyllie in Bridgend of Dundonald, Robert Chambers skinner in Kilmarnock, Archibald Boyd skinner there, Agnes Baird servitrix to the minister of Killmares, Mathew Patoun in Rusha, Jonet Gemmill in Bankdyke, Robert Cathcart of Bankheid, Alexander Gilbert now in Carlingcraig, Thomas Loudon gardiner in Galstoun, George Campbell gardiner there, Isobel Campbell in Robeith, Archibald Willock in Lainsyth, James Tourence in Litle Cessnock and his spouse, Thomas Samuels in Rashes, late Robert Connell in Maynes and John Connell his son, John Broun in (parish of ?) Beith, Janet Boyd in Bansmuir, George Connell smyth at Loudon Kirk,George Brown now in Lytle Blair, john Connell sometime in Craig, John Andro in Hillington, Alexander Conyngham sometym in Loams now in Lowallan, Robert Whyt sometime shoemaker in Kilmarnock now in Glasgow, Andro Walker in sail pappil (??) of Loudon, James Nimmo in Cambuskeith, James Mortoun elder in Galstoun, William Wallace in Lochmuir (?) of Finnick, Janet Walker relict and executor confirmed to late James Smyth in Stewartoun, Alexander Thomson in Mossyd of Cairnew (?), Robert Hopkins carrier at Lockrig..... to be continued

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: pt 1 Test Matthew Brown, Merchant ,Kilmarnock, June 1674 listing approx 180 pers
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Did you intend to post this on the Ayrshire board? It's landed in Argyllshire.
Cowban

Offline mattfrombann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: pt 1 Test Matthew Brown, Merchant ,Kilmarnock, June 1674 listing approx 180 pers
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 January 18 07:28 GMT (UK) »
Oops, fat  finger syndrome. Yes, meant for Ayrshire. Thanks.
Matt

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 January 18 13:42 GMT (UK) »
I waved my magic wand   ;D

you've moved to Ayrshire
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 January 18 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for posting this matt.
I can see one or two names there that might be mine (There are several 'John Mair' around in Loudoun at the time, so difficult to be sure)

You don't say in what way they are 'mentioned' in the testament of Matthew Brown? Do they owe him money?!

I wonder if that's the same Robert Tannahill the famous (in Scotland) poet. I know his father came from Kilmarnock, although Paisley always claim Robert as their own. Has to be of the same family surely.

Look forward with interest to the other names.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline mattfrombann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 January 18 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, and now for Pt 2.....
Janet Brown relict and executor to late William Tailyour in Loanhead and William Tailyour son to the defunct Bessie Smith relict (etc) to late John Montgomery in Kilwinning, Janet Wallace relict of late Hugh Wallace of Cambuskeith, Janet Wilson sometime in Busbie now in Brayside, John Johnson in Lifnock, Janet Boyd sometime in Lytledean now in Kilmarnock. John Wallace tailor at Garrick, John Whyt at Benbuck, Andrew Tailyor elder ..ogar at Kilmarnock, James Cunningham of ..sket, Robert Brown bonnetmaker somtyme servitor to John Cumming in Kilmarnock, Marie Johnstoun relict of late George Smyth candlemaker in Kilmarnock now spouse to Alexander Hutcheson merchant, John Dalzeil workman in Park, James Campbell in Woodheid of Loudon, Marjorie Aird relict (etc) of James Alexander in Byre of Loudon, William Jamieson couper in Kilmarnock, William Hunter at Haill, Alexander Smyth in Kilwinning, Robert Brown thieker (?) in Killmares, Robert Hogg sometime in Bridgend of Kilmarnock now in Irvine, Christian Tailor relict (etc) to late Andrew Bordland in Mylntoun and James Wilson there now her husband, John Gillmor in Amlaird, James Baird in Gartsyd of Kilmarnock, Alexander Armor in Titwood called Black Alexander, Robert Boyd in Hoow, Andro McClonocking in Knockmarnock, William Nevieing sometime in Stranheid of Killmarnock, William Mortoun in Mylntoun, Katherine McKersie and John Stevinstoun merchant in Beith, James Walker in Kilwinning, James Andrane in Croft of Kilmarnock, Janet Fultoun in Sandbed of Kilmarnock, Jean Bankhead relict of late James Findlay walker in Kilmarnock, John Findlay in Heigmyln and his spouse, John Hood at Tarbolton, Barbara Bair relict of late James Stevinstoun at Craigie, Hew Hutchison notar in Galston, Marian McClonoching at Knockmairlock, John Lymburner elder coalhewer, Alexander Dickie in Corshill, James Fair....vice laird in Kilmarnock, John Broun tailyor in Hogside of Kilmarnock, John Thomson in Holms of Dundonald, David Reid of Ballochmyll, William Baird in Gaitsyd, Alexander Dickie younger in Stewarton, Agnes and Robert Brown in Kilmarnock, Mathew Laumont in Barleith, John Hunter in ...airdyk, Robert Wight elder merchant in Kilmarnock, William Ritchart in Gillsitt, Katherine Gillmor and her husband, Hew Broun in Gamhill, Hew Tailyor in Trashes, Robert Smyth elder cutler in Killmares, Margaret Maisson in Kilmarnock, John Buntein at Rowallane, Mardon Patrick and (blank) Stevinstoun her spouse, Margaret Richmont in Lawdersbridge, Hew Stevinstoun in Busbie, John Allan in Blackhous, John Dickie skinner in Kilmarnock, Elizabeth McClellan in Glybland there, Alexander Syme in Croft of Kilmarnock, Hew Tannahill in Backsyd thereof, James Thomson bonnetmaker there, Allan Grier in Glybland thereof, Agnes Gillanss in Croft of Kilmarnock, William Broun thrasher there, Robert Broun in Corshous of Loudon, (blank) Broun dochter to Andro Broun in Pobeath, George Paterson sometime in (blank), Agnes Ritchmont relict of late Alexander Findlay in Caprickhill, Alexander Boyd in Raddingdykes, Janet Neiving relict of Robert Crauford sometime tanner in Kilmarnock, Robert Johnson in Peacokbank, John Biggart in Hill of Kilmares, Anna Henderson there, William Stevinstoun in Busbie, Robert Dickie in Thorntoun and Agnes Ronald his spouse, Agnes Smyth relict of late Thomas Andro in Tarkeirso of Caprington, Agnes Nisbit Lady Adamhill and John Tait her son feuar thereof, John and George Campbell of Bridgend of Kilmarnock, Agnes Fulton relict of late Robert Adam in Barstandwall, John Shaw in Blairstoun, John Willok in Carbeith, John Campbell in Heads of Loudon, The representatives of the late John Hogg of Struther (?)

The end

Offline mattfrombann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 January 18 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Goldie 61

They all appear to be debtors. CC9/7/43/117 starts of as an "omissa". Then there is an eik (commencing 120) which adds yet more debtors and goes on and on and on to give a grand total owing of £389 18s 6d. I have precisely one of my kin in all of it, but I took a copy out of interest as there were sooooo many names. That was two years ago and I'm only just getting around to putting it somewhere where others can see. I have a much less dramatic testament for Kilmaurs in a similar vein but right now I am just too cross eyed.

Matt

Offline carolineasb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 09:11 GMT (UK) »
The stated Robert Tannahill is not the poet as he didn't marry, however it appears that all Tannahills are from the one family just different branches and twigs. The family seemed to start off in Ayrshire, and there are many there, and then the Poet's family moved to Paisley so there are now many in Renfrewshire. I am in the branch from the Poet's brother, Andrew.
Tannahill:  Ayrshire, Renfrewshire
Mulgrew/Milgrew:  Glasgow
Canning: Renfrewshire