Author Topic: Mystery of Silver World War I Badge for James Iviss  (Read 799 times)

Offline jbj63

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mystery of Silver World War I Badge for James Iviss
« on: Wednesday 17 January 18 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone.

It is a long time since I have been on the forum.

I am trying to solve a bit of a mystery. My Mum has given me a Silver World War I badge that was in my Nan's possession. The number of the badge is 323987 and I have found that it was issued to Sapper James Iviss Regimental No: 233989. I am trying to find out if there is any link to our family.

He was discharged in 1917 aged 49 place of birth listed as London.  I believe that he is James Ives born 1868 in St. Giles, but can's see him in the censuses.  Can anyone help?

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery of Silver World War I Badge for James Iviss
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 22:05 GMT (UK) »
1891 Census
Hight Street
Irthlingborough 
Northamptonshire
James Ivis,aged 23,shoe presser born London,
lodging in the house of
James Morris,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline jbj63

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Can you see him in 1871?  I believe his parents to be Edward and Hannah because there is a workhouse admission with Edward, Hannah and 4 sons in 1871.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 23:14 GMT (UK) »
hmmmm and his father absconded from the workhouse
he took the three boys into the workhouse
on the 2nd March 1871
father readmitted on the 20th July 1871 and again in 1872
the whole family seem to have spent many years in and out no sign of a baby in 1871
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 January 18 02:10 GMT (UK) »
There are Army papers for him on Ancestry with his name indexed as Ivies but it looks like Iviss and the Army number matches your man.

Home address in 1917 in Brighton.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 January 18 03:12 GMT (UK) »
There are that many workhouse records for them it's hard to keep track, but there is a admission dated 20 Oct 1870 for Edward & the boys (transcribed as Iris) in the Cleveland Street Workhouse, Westminster:

Edward 38 discharged 3 Mar 1871 Own Request
John 14 discharged 29 Oct 1870 to Edmonton
Edward 9 discharged 3 Nov 1870 to Edmonton
William 9 discharged 29 Oct 1870 to Edmonton
Robert 6 discharged 1 Dec 1870 to Edmonton
James 1 1/2 discharged 3 Mar 1871 with Father

Hannah Ivis aged 35 and James Ivis aged 9 months were admitted to the same workhouse on 9 Aug 1869 and discharged on 14th Aug.   The age of 9 months would tie in with the James Ives birth you mentioned, registered December quarter 1868, mmn Clockus.   

An earlier admission (9 Apr 1868) is for the boys only, plus a 15 year old Hannah Ivis - presumably their sister.  This seems to be her birth registration:

IVISS, HANNAH   mmn CLOGHER 
GRO Reference: 1853  M Quarter in SAINT MARTIN IN THE FIELDS  Volume 01A  Page 269

In 1881 think James is in the Home for Working & Destitute Lads (Dr Barnardo's Home), Stepney Causeway, aged 10 & born Wylde Street, Covent Garden.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 January 18 09:13 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Jomot on the 1881 census
if he was indeed a Barnardo's boy you might  be able to find something about him in their archives, but of course it will cost you

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 January 18 17:00 GMT (UK) »
His army records give his residence on joining in Feb 1917 as Carlton Hill Brighton, his age as 49 and Carlton Hill as his intended place of residence when he was discharged medically unfit in November 1917.  Although discharged he was in hospital in Leeds in Feb 1918.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline jbj63

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 January 18 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everybody for looking for me.  I can't see any link to my family.  It will have to remain a mystery as to why my Nan may have had the badge.