Author Topic: Help please! Attempting to trace my adopted grandmother's birth parents/family  (Read 8796 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help please! Attempting to trace my adopted grandmother's birth parents/family
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 20 January 18 15:12 GMT (UK) »
William Murray, of Southfield House, Station Rd, Hessle died 29 November 1946.  Probate of his £24,500 estate was granted at York, 26 June 1947, to Donald Murray company director and Jean Murray spinster.
Appear to be nephew & niece . Actually son & daughter - names from funeral notice. They are marked as son & daughter on 1911 although William is not present - perhaps out on his rounds!! Sister Maud marked first on list but not head of household.

I think a £6 punt on the birth certificate jorose found would be well worth it, probably won't name father though...

ADDED: Won't prove jorose's theory either but will add fuel to fire if mother is Anna Josephine.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help please! Attempting to trace my adopted grandmother's birth parents/family
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 20 January 18 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Josey I think as you say that they are correctly marked as son and daughter (relationships being to the head of household, even if he is absent).

I definitely agree that the birth certificate is worth a punt.  The indexing in two surnames may mean that a father is named as well as the mother. 
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 20 January 18 16:47 GMT (UK) »
The 1926 re-registration may have details of her adoptive family (seeing as it appears to be listed as "Taylor") or give some confirmation via birthdate, but as you say it's unlikely we'll get any firm confirmation of the father.

Keightley children can be found in the civil bdms of Paris:
http://archives.paris.fr/r/124/-at-civil-de-paris/

6 July 1886 - Anna Josephine (8e)
Act 999 - birth of Anna Josephine Keightley, born the 5th July (registered on the 6th), daughter of Joseph Keightley, 28, cocher (coachman?), and Anne Marie Leroyer, aged 31, domestic servant (married).

9 June 1889 - Marguerite (8e)
act 1063 - same details, only Joseph is now 30, his wife is 34, and her father's nationality is specified as English.

(there may be more I haven't spotted)

11 Feb 1886, 8e, the marriage:
Joseph Keightley, born Myton (Great Britain), 27 January 1859, coachman resident of Paris Rue de Marignan, 18, son of Joseph Keightly and Harriet Cushing, his wife
to
Anne Marie Leroyer, born Saint-Jean-sur-Mayenne (Mayenne), 16th October 1854, a maid resident of Paris, Rue de Messine, 9, daughter of Michel Pierre Leroyer, deceased, and Anne Foucault, his widow, aged 56, no occupation, resident Change (Mayenne) and consenting to the marriage.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 20 January 18 19:58 GMT (UK) »
I did wonder whether the re-registration and its timing might have had something to do with the fact that legal adoption was about to be introduced (with effect from 1 Jan 1927), but it's hard to see how a prospective adoptive parent's name would appear on a birth registration unless said parent was claiming (truthfully or not) to be the child's natural parent  ???
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 21 January 18 09:57 GMT (UK) »
The Keightley re-registration in 1926 appears to be to add an unmarried father to an entry (where he wasn't named on the original) - that means he would have to be present at the re-registration to confirm he was the father and to sign as a joint informant.

Offline sophia1422

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 21 January 18 21:20 GMT (UK) »
thank you all so much for your help. I have ordered the birth certificate so will let you know once i receive it :)

Offline sophia1422

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
*UPDATE (better late than never :-[)*

I finally have a birth name for my grandmother! It turns out she is in fact EVA ELSIE ROYCROFT, born November 29th 1912 in Hull. We were looking at the family tree in an old family bible (started by the Taylors) and noticed that her name and birth date had been changed - we could just make out the original name/date! I have received her birth certificate today -  unmarried mother (Maud Roycroft) of 8 Beech Grove, Princes Road, Hull.

I am sure I will need some help at a later date as having had a quick look at freebmd there are no obvious birth/marriage details for Maud, but I will save those questions for when I have more time :)

*The Keighley birth certificate names the father (as AntonyMMM suggested) and mother is Eliza, so no link to Anna Josephine but thank you for your suggestions.*

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Thats great news

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
I notice that the birth is actually registered in Sculcoates, Yorkshire. Was the Hull address given as the mother’s usual address?
A Maud Roycroft age 25 appears in shipping lists for the Campania sailing for New York in May 1913.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)