Author Topic: Help please! Attempting to trace my adopted grandmother's birth parents/family  (Read 8812 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help please! Attempting to trace my adopted grandmother's birth parents/family
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 05 May 18 12:43 BST (UK) »
Maud not too good at stating correct age!

In 1920 US Census she is a nurse to a private family (surnamed Hannah) in New Trier, Cook, Illinois listed as Maud E Roycroft aged 36! (She was 35 when she arrived in 1913!!).

The surname here varies too in the various records from Roycroft/Roycraft/Raycroft.

I feel sure that this Maud (of the varying age) - a nurse whilst in the US - is indeed the mother of Eva Elsie Roycroft - she also left for the US 6 months after the birth of her daughter and was indeed a nurse.   However, I haven't found her in the US after 1920 so don't know what became of her.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
Re: Help please! Attempting to trace my adopted grandmother's birth parents/family
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 05 May 18 13:31 BST (UK) »
Having Eva as the baby’s name could also be significant as Maud’s first name was Evangeline. I agree with Annette that this is very likely the Maud who had the baby in Hull/Sculcoates.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 14 June 18 20:34 BST (UK) »
Are you going to atempted to find the birth father of Elsie Eva? 

Maud may have taken him to court for a new affiliation order .

Otherwise it's a case of finding DNA matches my grandmothers legitimate half brother had a son who came out as a 2nd cousins match to my mother on Ancestry.

You could also look for Elsie.s baptism records interesting to know if Maude had her baptised before leaving for USA or if the Taylors had a baptism for her maybe that was the date given on 1939 register.
Fascinating story really pleased that you got answers and can now trace the maternal side further back in Ireland .
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline sophia1422

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 13:25 BST (UK) »
Annette7 isobelw brigidmac thank you so much for all your work on this, as well as a huge apology for not replying sooner. For some reason I have had no notifications and have only found your replies today whilst browsing  :-[

So we have possible Irish ancestry!I did notice that Roycroft appears to be an Irish name, but to actually have traced Maud there is very exciting! and to fit in with the 'story' we have been told albeit without a husband....

brigidmac - yes Maud did have grandma baptised before she left, on the 18th Dec 1912 at what looks to be the parish church. The date on the 1939 register still remains a mystery! I would like to try and find her father - how would I go about this?

The only other question I have is why Maud would travel to Hull from Ireland, give birth to my grandmother and then leave 6 months later?

Offline sophia1422

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Help needed finding death records Evangeline Maud Roycroft
« Reply #40 on: Monday 02 December 19 15:59 GMT (UK) »
I am desperately searching for a death record and/or any other information post 1920 for my great-grandmother, Evangeline Maud Roycroft (b. 1878, Dublin). She emigrated to the US in May 1913 following the illegitimate birth of my grandmother in November 1912.

(The original thread where some lovely rootschatters tracked her down for me is here topics merged

In the 1920 US Census she is single, known as 'Maud E Roycroft' and is living and working with the Hannah family in New Trier, Illinois but here the trail goes cold. She is also a little forgetful about her age, so I have had to be mindful about that.

Her sister Elsie Blanche Roycroft also emigrated to the US a year or two before, but I have found Elsie's obituary in 1965 and her only known relatives were said to be nephews back in Ireland, suggesting that Maud had either died before her sister or that they were no longer in contact.

I have found the Hannah family in the 1930 US Census and they have moved away and she is not listed with them.

Can anyone help me with this?

Sophie

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed finding death records
« Reply #41 on: Monday 02 December 19 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Given the complexity of this family and the previous thread which ran to 5 pages - it may be best if this post was merged with that thread for continuity purposes and to prevent any possible duplication

Will refer to moderator for decision
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed finding death records
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 03 December 19 09:16 GMT (UK) »
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 03 December 19 14:03 GMT (UK) »
In England you look for court records sometime s called affiliation orders In area record office .
But if she came from Ireland and never returned she was probably hiding the fact that she.dhad a baby so unlikely to risk taking the father to court.
Very hard to cope as a single mother so taking a job on boat accompanying a family was a good option .
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson