Author Topic: O'Raw - Hamilton Antrim  (Read 2473 times)

Offline DanielORaw93

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: O'Raw - Hamilton Antrim
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 March 18 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

Didn't see these replies until now.

Yes, Charles and Anne died in Dublin, in 1887(Anne) and 1894(Charles). They had as far as I know just two children. John and Mary Anne (1859 and 1868). Charles and Anne are both buried in Glasnevin along with their son John and granddaughter Mary.

I have found proof that Charles did infact marry an Anne Delargy. But have yet to find marriage cert of any form or John's birth cert from 1859.

As for James O'Raw, I have a strong belief that he and Charles are brothers. James died in 1906, he and Charles were constantly working as sailors so records of them pop up every now and again been in Scotland.

Another revelation I found was a possible 3rd Brother, Patrick H O'Raw. Who moved to New York and had Frank Patrick O'Raw. Frank would write to "Uncle Charles" and I have copies of the letters.

I'm still looking for Birth certs and marriage certs that prove Charles and James are brothers and also who their parents were.

Thanks for all the helpful information,
Daniel

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 March 18 23:01 GMT (UK) »
There are no birth certs until 1864, no RC marriage certs until 1864.
You need church records.
https://registers.nli.ie/

Offline DanielORaw93

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 March 18 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Yes I'm aware that parish records are the only hope, but the parish in which they would 99% be, is Layde parish in Antrim. There are massive gaps in this parish's records.

I guess I'll never know.

Daniel

Offline annstewart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 19 May 18 01:28 BST (UK) »
Hi:  I have O'Raw ancestors.  This family lived in Braid/Skerry, Leggygrane, Glenravel, Ireland.   My 2nd ggm was Ellen/Helen O'Raw who married James Scullion.

Offline DanielORaw93

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 19 October 18 06:45 BST (UK) »
Hi:  I have O'Raw ancestors.  This family lived in Braid/Skerry, Leggygrane, Glenravel, Ireland.   My 2nd ggm was Ellen/Helen O'Raw who married James Scullion.

Hi,

Yes there are a few O'Raws from "Legagrane, Cargan, Antrim" which is the address. The furtherst I can go back on my direct line is to John O'Raw, Born in 1794. Lived in Cushendall. Worked as a Kilnman. Married Mary Hamilton in about 1825-1828 . Had Charles, Patrick, "Hamilton", James and Mary in Cushendall. Died in 1869 in Cushendall. Mary died in 1867. Charles and james went to Dublin. Patrick to New York. Mary to Dublin (probably).

I assume John (1794-1869) was from Kilconway, which is a large barony about 9km from Ballymena. The O'Raws in the 1851 census number 182 and all live around 3 main towns in kilconway (Clough, Martinstown, Cargan) none of them live more than 8km away from eachother.

The Legagrane O'Raw in 1851 are: Owen O'Raw and wife Mary(McAteer)(i think) as heads.

Can you tell me anything else about this family? Or if you have DNA test. This could confirm relationships.

Regards,
Daniel