Author Topic: SCOTT in Connecticut 1830s onwards  (Read 564 times)

Offline davidgp

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SCOTT in Connecticut 1830s onwards
« on: Thursday 18 January 18 11:47 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to tidy up my 2G grandfather's siblings. David SCOTT born to Joseph SCOTT (a miller) and Ellen (born STONER) on 18 Oct 1790 in Barwick-in-Elment and baptised there on 9 Nov 1790 leaves no subsequent trace in the English records I can find. (His elder twin sisters Rachel and Nancy likewise but that's for another time!)

I have found a very likely candidate for my Barwick-born David living in Connecticut from about 1830 onwards - this is the David SCOTT born England 1790 married to Lydia WATROUS living in Ledyard, New London County. He's in two US census but I can find no Connecticut death or burial for him only for his wife. There are quite a few 1790 born David SCOTTs this could be, but I would like to find some proof he's mine.

The circumstantial evidence is as follows:

1) David SCOTTs cousin Thomas STONER (1797-1878) emigrated to America after bankruptcy as a miller. Possibly giving him the idea to emigrate - hence no English records for marriage, death or burial.

2) Connecticut David's wife was a member of the Rogerine Quakers - my David's SCOTT's first cousin (Thomas's brother) was a dissenting minister (Wesleyan) of some fame and non-conformity was almost a watchword among the SCOTT and STONER clan.

3) David SCOTT's nephew James SCOTT emigrated to New Haven, Connecticut sometime in the in the 1860s.

Anyone have any suggestions how to tie the two Davids together or prove they are not the same man?

David

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: SCOTT in Connecticut 1830s onwards
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 January 18 11:53 GMT (UK) »
This must be the family you refer to  ???

1850 census Griswold, New London, Connecticut.

David Scott   60 Born Egland. Stonemason.
Lydia Scott   48
Zachariah Scott   18 Thomas Scott 11
Sally Scott   13 Susanna Scott   6
Caroline Scott   1

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline davidgp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 January 18 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Sandra that's the Connecticut family.
David

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 January 18 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Seems to be a RAOGK volunteer (2nd on list) who can do cemetery look ups - Griswold mentioned.

https://www.raogk.org/lookups/region/connecticut/

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline davidgp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 January 18 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra

David's wife and two daughter are buried in the Rogerine Cemetery which being a Quaker burial ground does not have headstones (and I think is now on private ground) - I'm guessing David was laid to rest there and that without kin in Connecticut his whereabouts are unknown. I was hoping for some paper documentation to prevent sending kind folk on a wild goose chase!
David