Author Topic: Notifications - not a rant  (Read 12858 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Notifications - not a rant
« Reply #36 on: Friday 19 January 18 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Have a go at experimenting and see what happens  ;D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 19 January 18 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Yes I knew somebody was going to put that as I said originally.

I would like to understand the logic but never mind.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 19 January 18 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Unnotify is a completely separate process  from the online Unread, New replies and Ignore.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 19 January 18 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Yes I know that but once I have used the 'unnotify' function so that I don't keep getting messages in my email inbox that someone else has posted to the thread in which I had previously been interested does it also prevent it from appearing in the new replies listing too.  And if the answer to this is yes then I am presuming that it will therefore appear in the unread topics listing unless the thread is closed to me forever more?

Anyway call it a day now - I hadn't realised my original query would necessitate so much typing.

Regards, Pheno
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 19 January 18 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Yes I know that but once I have used the 'unnotify' function so that I don't keep getting messages in my email inbox that someone else has posted to the thread in which I had previously been interested does it also prevent it from appearing in the new replies listing too.  And if the answer to this is yes then I am presuming that it will therefore appear in the unread topics listing unless the thread is closed to me forever more?

Anyway call it a day now - I hadn't realised my original query would necessitate so much typing.

Regards, Pheno

As a moderator, I am asked to get involved in lots of topics for which I have no further interest after, say for example, correcting a typo or moving a topic to another board. Trystan has set the system up so that moderators can carry on keeping an eye on a topic they have become involved in indirectly.

However, on the whole, I no longer have an interest so chose then to 'un-notify' from the topic.

I then don't get any further email notifications for that topic nor do they appear under the 'new replies' button.

However, they do continue to be under the 'unread posts' button should my interest for the topic occur later.

Your current notifications are here

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=notification;u=131685
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 19 January 18 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Dawn - a concise answer to my original query.

Pheno
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 19 January 18 14:46 GMT (UK) »

How does the distinction between unread and new work regarding threads on which you have posted previously but have subsequently marked as 'unnotify'.  Do they still appear as new as you have posted at some point or is the system now capable of ignoring them and so they just appear in unread?

ANY post you make or if you answer another post, when anyone else replies be it 1 day, 1 month or 1 year later after you last read it will show in 'new replies' which is really useful as only the other day someone replied to an old question of mine which alerted me

* Sorry Dawnsh I should have read to the end of the thread before I answered, repeating you
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend