Author Topic: Notifications - not a rant  (Read 12890 times)

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Notifications - not a rant
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 18 January 18 17:59 GMT (UK) »
One possible reason is that the notification contains a link to the reply.

As a rule clicking on links in an email is not recommended,  so you delete the email and come back on rootschat and you cannot remember which of the multitude of boards and sub-boards you posted on.

Maybe the notification would be better without the link, but with a reminder what board the post was on.

Mike

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 18 January 18 18:03 GMT (UK) »
"Do people really post and not want to be notified?"

You bet they do.  It's much easier to just look at 'New Replies' at the top of the page.

I  hate to think what my email 'in box' would be like if I received notifications.  I always go straight to 'new replies' when I come on here.  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 18 January 18 18:14 GMT (UK) »
One possible reason is that the notification contains a link to the reply.

As a rule clicking on links in an email is not recommended,  so you delete the email and come back on rootschat and you cannot remember which of the multitude of boards and sub-boards you posted on.

Maybe the notification would be better without the link, but with a reminder what board the post was on.

Mike
Take your point but I do use the link a lot, I do wonder if the new poster sometimes just uses the link without logging in.
That way they can read the reply without appearing to have come back, I think it would be better if the link brought you to the log in first than the thread, at least we would know if they come back even if they don't reply.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 18 January 18 18:16 GMT (UK) »
"Do people really post and not want to be notified?"

You bet they do.  It's much easier to just look at 'New Replies' at the top of the page.

I  hate to think what my email 'in box' would be like if I received notifications.  I always go straight to 'new replies' when I come on here.  :)
Mine go to the 'Forums box' so don't clog up the 'in box' at all.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 18 January 18 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Me too  :)
First thing I do is check the New Replies, then I go to Unread.
I agree it is a good idea to point this feature out to new users.
I must say, I can’t understand why someone wouldn't come back to check. It is so exciting to get information.  :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 18 January 18 18:41 GMT (UK) »
The subject of folk not returning to their threads to acknowledge answers has been brought up in many a "rant" thread.  This is not one more but rather an query/suggestion.

I have currently 7 threads to which I have put a lot of work and time into and given answers and to which reaction has come there none!  5 of the seven are queries by newbies who have not visited the site since posting the query.  I understand that this may be because they haven't set up their notifications properly on joining.
Query - should I perhaps send a PM or post again a polite "why the sam hill haven't you replied"  - which works best?
Suggestion, why not make Notify the default?  Do people really post and not want to be notified?

Only asking.

MaxD
Yes of course they do, for instance I still have my wits about me, perhaps not for much longer but for now I have. ;) When I post I know I can always check the new Replies option to see if anyone has responded with having Rootschat notifications adding to the two to three hundred emails I get everyday.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 18 January 18 18:48 GMT (UK) »
With respect, those who say they check the new replies are saying that because they have experience of the way Rootschat works..

My focus was the newbie and josey's suggestion that the first reply to a newbie could gently include a "don't forget to hit Notify or check new replies" reminder is a very good one.  One has to acknowledge that not everyone reads the "How to do it" pages when they start up.  (Ask yourselves whether you always read the Ts and Cs on every new site!)

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 18 January 18 19:00 GMT (UK) »
And if your bookmark to rootschat is to the home page then  new replies   is not on the home page.

Mike

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 18 January 18 19:08 GMT (UK) »
I reckon some do just go for the information provided without any acknowledgement as recently I have seen some very abrupt (and rather rude) requests arise on here. 

With no 'please' when making a request are you really expecting a 'thanks' for a response?

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire