Author Topic: Notifications - not a rant  (Read 12857 times)

Offline colmc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Notifications - not a rant
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 18 January 18 19:17 GMT (UK) »
And if your bookmark to rootschat is to the home page then  new replies   is not on the home page.

Mike

Extending the banner with the messages link on home page to include new replies would be a welcome addition.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 18 January 18 19:21 GMT (UK) »
And if your bookmark to rootschat is to the home page then  new replies   is not on the home page.

Mike

Extending the banner with the messages link on home page to include new replies would be a welcome addition.

That is really interesting, any reasonable person could easily think that  messages. was just that,  ie replies to your question

Mike

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 18 January 18 19:23 GMT (UK) »
perhaps a thank you key could be added to posts ffor people to acknowledge
I know it is easy to type in but I think people have got used to "just a Click"
I would always type in preference
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 18 January 18 19:53 GMT (UK) »
I think the system defaults to 'Instantly but only for the first reply' for notifications when people sign up to RC.

Sadly if they miss that notification, for whatever reason, they won't get another one until they come back to their topic.

I think Trystan and Sarah took a long hard look at this as they don't want RC to be tainted as a spamming website with loads of notifications going out to all and sundry who may not want them.

I do have my notifications set to instantly though, my email inbox doesn't seem to mind the number I get, I tend to keep an eye on what has been replied to but usually click on 'new replies' just in case something gets overlooked.

Pm's were mentioned but if their post count stands at 1, they won't necessarily get the notification of a pm or be able to reply to it.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 18 January 18 19:59 GMT (UK) »
I've never used 'New Replies'. After a bit of digging I have now found the tab to click. There are some new responses today to queries that I responded to yesterday that have not fed through as notifications to my email today and also I have had some email notifications today that are not showing up as 'New Replies'.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 18 January 18 20:34 GMT (UK) »

It is not always obvious what is going on with members ??? ??? ???, I checked with a member (of over 10 years) who had 100's of posts but with no replies, I sent a PM to see if they knew how to reply to a topic and notified them of a topic where 2 brand new members had done 1 reply each - but no response they apologised for not replying in the past but then went to reply by pm to the new members could not reply to which I made them aware of..? 
Same week brand new member first thing they did was turn off all email notifications, I got in touch to say that we are unable to notify when the person they were interested in contacting wished to reply.

If you have any concerns if you let me know who I can always check.

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 18 January 18 20:47 GMT (UK) »
I have to admit that I’d never seen the ‘new replies’ button until tonight 🙄 I get lots of notifications, and tend to read them asap, and my current bookmark is set to the home page, but i plan to give ‘new replies’ a go now 🤪
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 19 January 18 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Final thought on all the above - keep calm and carry on [waiting for responses].

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 19 January 18 09:48 GMT (UK) »
 ;D
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....