Author Topic: Dowds/Doud/Dodds & Beattie  (Read 955 times)

Offline kathleenmitchell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dowds/Doud/Dodds & Beattie
« on: Thursday 18 January 18 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am trying to trace Thomas Dowds/Douds/Dodds and Rose Beattie.  The information I have comes from a poor record.

Thomas Dowds was born around 1790 in Ireland, he married Rose Beattie from Dungannon and they have my 3xGt Granda William in 1812 in Bishop St Belfast.

William marries Rose McFall in Derry in 1827.

I have been round in circles for years trying to trace Rose McFall and Williams siblings and also Thomas and Rose Beattie family.

The dates of Williams Birth and marriage come from the poor Register.  I have most things from William and Rose from 1827 but nothing before.

If anyone could give me any help it would be most appreciated

Thanks
Kathy
GREENOCK.  Mitchell, Foley, Ferguson, Sweeney, Beckett, Sheekey, Branchfield, McDermid, Crighton, Canavan
LIVERPOOL. Otty, Holmes, Crighton
CO TYRONE, FERMANAGH, ANTRIM, DERRY.   Mitchell, Elliott,Dowds, Mcguire, McFall
COUNTY CARLOW. Foley, Doyle
DENMARK. Holm
WIGTOWNSHIRE.  Ferguson, Milroy, Dickson, Gunlock, Aitcheson/Hutcheson

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dowds/Doud/Dodds & Beattie
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 January 18 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am trying to trace Thomas Dowds/Douds/Dodds and Rose Beattie.  The information I have comes from a poor record.

Thomas Dowds was born around 1790 in Ireland, he married Rose Beattie from Dungannon and they have my 3xGt Granda William in 1812 in Bishop St Belfast.

William marries Rose McFall in Derry in 1827.

I have been round in circles for years trying to trace Rose McFall and Williams siblings and also Thomas and Rose Beattie family.

The dates of Williams Birth and marriage come from the poor Register.  I have most things from William and Rose from 1827 but nothing before.

If anyone could give me any help it would be most appreciated

Thanks
Kathy

I would query whether the dates for William are correct unless he was 15 years old when he married. Also the places (Rose from Dungannon has child in Belfast then child married in Derry).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kathleenmitchell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 January 18 10:41 GMT (UK) »
I can only go on the written evidence that I have, I thought it was a lot of moving around, but not unheard of in those days.
GREENOCK.  Mitchell, Foley, Ferguson, Sweeney, Beckett, Sheekey, Branchfield, McDermid, Crighton, Canavan
LIVERPOOL. Otty, Holmes, Crighton
CO TYRONE, FERMANAGH, ANTRIM, DERRY.   Mitchell, Elliott,Dowds, Mcguire, McFall
COUNTY CARLOW. Foley, Doyle
DENMARK. Holm
WIGTOWNSHIRE.  Ferguson, Milroy, Dickson, Gunlock, Aitcheson/Hutcheson

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 January 18 11:10 GMT (UK) »
It's more difficult to help if you only tell us part of the information you already have found or suspect  :-\

From a post on another forum in 2016-
Hi, I have Dowds family both living in Belfast and Derry. William Dowds was married in Belfast 1827, although he states that he is from Derry. William later dies in Scotland, and his wife Rose McFall from Dungannon and Daughter Ellen lived in the Altnagelvin area of Derry around 1870's - 1900's, do any of these people fit in your tree?

Is there a death certificate for William which lists his parents? Do you know where Rose and daughter Ellen died? When was Ellen born?

Added- actually you do have even more information on them here from 2015 whre you were given lots of help-
I am trying to get information on my Dowds family, I sent off for a death certificate and was very lucky that it was the correct one. Rose Dowds ms McFall died on 7 Dec 1887 in Altnagelvin, the informant was her daughter Ellen.
I have no idea what happened to Ellen after this, she was born in 1846 and was a seamstress. I also cannot find Rose or Ellen on census.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/boards/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=8448&p=localities.britisles.ireland.ldy.general

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 January 18 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Death certificate for Rose Dowds-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1887/06197/4772149.pdf
If she was 70 in 1887 then born c1817 making her 10 years old for a 1827 marriage  ::)
From that other topic-
Ellen Dowds death registered Oct-Dec 1915 age 63, Londonderry. Estimated birth year 1852 based on age given at death. Most genealogy give +/- 5 years.
Death certificate says she was a married woman so not the correct Ellen-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1915/05259/4458787.pdf

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 January 18 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Here you give Rose's maiden name as "Mcguire" not McFall-
Hi
my ancestor was Rose ann Dowds born around 1835 to William Dowds and Rose Mcguire, she gives her birth in antrim and derry  but I have no idea where, she moved to Scotland and Married James Mitchell who was from Tyrone, they married in Glasgow in 1855, this is my brick wall

Kind regards
Kathy

Another thread from 2011 here- no need to start new topics as you can always add to original one-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=525941.0

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 January 18 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Based on earlier posts this [extract] is likely your William & Rose-
Londonderry Standard, 3 July 1839: Rose Dowds and Wm. Dowds, for larceny, fined each.

Added- and maybe this one [extract]:
Londonderry Standard, 28 Oct.1840: ...   Recorder entered the Court shortly after ten o'clock, and jury having been sworn, the following cases were proceeded with : William Dowds, far (middling potatoes, the property Mr. J. Lithguw.

More details on Rose Ann Dowds or Mitchell posted-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=525941.msg6413358#msg6413358