Author Topic: researching Liverpool address - any tips?  (Read 5622 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: researching Liverpool address - any tips?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 19 January 18 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Well no trouble finding the address on the 1939, it is there with two residents.

There seem to be three separate households. Presumably the house was divided into flats by that time.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 19 January 18 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your help. I've put together a skeleton timeline with the hope of eventually filling in the gaps.
I've taken out a sub with findmypast which may help.
I tried the Land Registry site suggested but I'm afraid it beat me -I couldn't work out where to get the info they wanted - maybe I'm just being dense (quite likely!)
It looks as if the property was built in between 1873 and 1881 - do others agree with this that Mrs Wallworth and daughter were possibly the first occupants?
I'd be interested to know more about the 1875 reference in a newspaper.
I'm also interested in the Spare Rib reference in 1980 as I think this may be when we bought the house (sadly ex-husband kept all the paperwork, now long destroyed, and my memory is no longer reliable).
On the BBC programme the researcher seems to have access to some sort of archive in Liverpool. Of course all these programmes make the research seem dead simple - and it never is! I wonder if there's somewhere with every owner listed?
If anyone can suggest websites/books / links etc I'd be very grateful.

Well, I'll see what I can fill in with the help of the records I am familiar with. Sometimes the best stories are the ones you don't expect!
Thanks again!
Lesley

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 19 January 18 17:22 GMT (UK) »
I wouldn't rush to do the Land Registry.  I went on there with the intention of finding out the names of the previous occupants of my parents house.

I found the details, paid my money (£6) and all I had was the name of the current owner.  Maybe I did something wrong, searched on the wrong bit, who knows?  At least I didn't waste too much money.

Hopefully someone with more experience of using the Land Registry website will give you some pointers.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 19 January 18 17:40 GMT (UK) »
The February 1875 newspaper item - the earliest mention of Pelham Grove that I could find - concerned the insolvency of T. Hollis.

Per the Gazette he lived at number 26 https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/24196/page/1969  (column 2, fifth item)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 19 January 18 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Also found in the Gazette, in 1902, a reference to Elizabeth Charlotte Blackburne who had resided at number 11 https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/27414/page/1689

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 19 January 18 17:58 GMT (UK) »
I wouldn't rush to do the Land Registry
Thanks for this reply - it’s just what it seemed but I thought I must be reading the information wrongly. So you’ve saved me a load of money if I’d had to order every individual resident!

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 19 January 18 18:00 GMT (UK) »
The Gazette- good thinking. I’d forgotten about that

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 19 January 18 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Well no trouble finding the address on the 1939, it is there with two residents.
I seem to have lost my touch - how do you find the two residents in the 1939 register - the whole layout of findmypast seems to have altered since I used it . . . or I'm going doolally (most likely!)
I can see this is going to be a lot harder than I thought - and impossible without the help I've had from this forum

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 19 January 18 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Lesley what I did was use the address section on the 1939.  When you get the basic search page, click on Advanced Search top right, you then click on the address button which is next to the person button.

This takes you to the address search page.  You then enter the name of the road/street you are looking for, the borough/district, which in your case will be Liverpool.  You need not fill in the county unless you want to or if you know the place could be in more than one county.

Press the button and see the results.

I think I said earlier that you will need to view the image to find the number that you are looking for.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire