Author Topic: researching Liverpool address - any tips?  (Read 5609 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: researching Liverpool address - any tips?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 19 January 18 21:58 GMT (UK) »
1939: When you view the page image, look above the two obvious households at 11.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 20 January 18 10:28 GMT (UK) »
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 20 January 18 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Another name for you: a birth announcement in the Morning Post (a London paper) for Thursday, March 16, 1893.

Gonner: on the 5th inst at 11 Pelham Grove, Sefton Park, Liverpool, the wife of E C K Gonner, of a son

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 20 January 18 16:02 GMT (UK) »

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 20 January 18 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Hopefully someone with more experience of using the Land Registry website will give you some pointers.
Yes, the Land Title sheet only has current owner. As far as I know, you have to pay for information on EACH earlier transfer. In Scotland this is called 'behind the Register', not sure about England. This is because the Land Register is a register of title, not of deeds [which the Scottish Register of Sasines is/was, England had no equivalent]. It should not be forgotten that occupants could be tenants rather than owners, so consecutive occupiers does not mean change of ownership.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: researching Liverpool address - an interesting development
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 20 January 18 16:52 GMT (UK) »
As often happens in genealogy - the most interesting finds happen when we least expect them.

Making slow progress with the Pelham Grove house but by chance found a reference to Haile Selassi who apparently spent WW2 in exile in the UK including some time in Lark Lane (Waverley Road I think, which is round the corner from Pelham Grove). I can't get much detail from Google but wonder if anyone else has heard this?)

This would certainly be an exciting development!!

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 20 January 18 17:24 GMT (UK) »
The Gonner connection very interesting. When we lived in the street most houses were divided into flats. Shows it was once an affluent street. Beginning to remind me of the ups and downs of thr bbc programme. Getting quite excited!

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 20 January 18 17:45 GMT (UK) »
do others agree with this that Mrs Wallworth and daughter were possibly the first occupants?

From the evidence of the Toxteth Park cemetery transcription, the Wilson family was there in 1879. Following the evidence of Catherine Matilda's mother's maiden name (Shearer) this would appear to be Joseph and his wife Catherine Campbell Wilson. Joseph was a miller and corn merchant.  Wife Catherine died in 1883.
However in the 1881 census they are at 10 Pelham Grove, so either they had moved across the road or the burial transcription is incorrect.

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 25 January 18 07:32 GMT (UK) »
It wasn’t unusual for families to move across the road - my family in Yorkshire did that (maybe same landlord?). Would the land registry be able to tell me who were first residents or do I need more info before getting records?
Anecdotes about Haile Selassi are numerous but I can’t find any proof he stayed in Pelham grove