Author Topic: researching Liverpool address - any tips?  (Read 5625 times)

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: researching Liverpool address - any tips?
« Reply #45 on: Monday 19 February 18 15:01 GMT (UK) »
I now have the birth certificate of Edward Dermot Ledlie Gonner born 1893 in 'our house' in 11 Pelham Grove. I'd like to know when the family moved out and where to? His parents were Edward Carter Gonner and Annie Ledlie. The next daughter (I think) Eileen was born 1896 on the Wirral. Any extra info will help to build up a picture of the family
Thanks]
lesley

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 19 February 18 15:35 GMT (UK) »
The Gonner family had moved to West Kirby by 1896.  Address 13 Kirby Park per Kelly's Directory.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 19 February 18 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shsun; I noticed the next child was born on the Wirral - quite a social jump from 'our house' and wonder if I could pinpoint a more definite year or even an explanation as to the move. Ideally I would like to fill in as many blanks as possible. Where can I find electoral rolls or trade directories (would be happy to buy the directories if I could find any relevant to Lark Lane). As you can see I'm way out of my comfort zone!
Lesley

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Many Liverpool directories are viewable online on Familysearch

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/241645?availability=Family%20History%20Library

You can also search and download from the Leicester University collection

http://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/cdm/

You could also try posting on the Liverpool Genealogy forum (Liverpool & South West Lancashire FHS)

https://www.liverpool-genealogy.org.uk/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=2

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 11:13 GMT (UK) »
I noticed the next child was born on the Wirral - quite a social jump from 'our house' and wonder if I could pinpoint a more definite year or even an explanation as to the move.

Professor Gonner was a prominent academic by then. The Wirral had been opened up to commuters when the  Mersey railway tunnel was opened in 1886.  There was then a rapid growth of suburbs such as Wallasey, Hoylake and West Kirby. The attractions of cleaner air and better quality of life in West Kirby, away from the soot, crime and slums of Liverpool, must have been considerable.

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the help Shaun. It would seem that the Gonners were the most important residents in our house, so I will try to find out about their family. Although Edward Dermot Ledlie Gonner's birth cert in 1893 gives our house as his place of birth and the birth was reported by his professor father at the same address I will try to find out when the family moved from Lark Lane.
Incidentally, I had personal experience of the cleaner air on the Wirral - I spent some months in the Margaret Beavan home (West Kirby) as a child.
Memories I thought I had lost!

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 02 March 18 13:04 GMT (UK) »
from censuses:

1901 - James W Armour
1891 - unoccupied
1881 - Jane Wallworth (and daughter Elizabeth Ockleston)
I'm finding this search more difficult, and expensive, than I expected. I believe Jane Wallworth (Thornah?) and her daughter Elizabeth Ockleston were the first occupants of the property in 1881, shortly after Elizabeth's husband died of gout. the house is shown as unoccupied in 1891, and I'd like to follow up what happened to the two women in1891. Elizabeth may be living in Croxteth Grove (which I remember as being off Lodge Lane, but I can't find her death (I made a mistake with that certificate) or later marriage. I can't find Jane at all.
Would appreciate any help or suggestions as I'm fast running out of money for certificates!
Thanks to all for help so far.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 02 March 18 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen this 1887 death announcement for Jane Wallworth, 15 Croxteth Grove?

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 02 March 18 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Jane Wallworth's executrices were Elizabeth Ockleston and Emmeline Fean.

Elizabeth died in Harrogate in 1913. Her executrix was also Emmeline Fean.

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills