Author Topic: Birth Registration  (Read 2495 times)

Offline screwlooose

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth Registration
« on: Friday 19 January 18 01:25 GMT (UK) »
Hey all, It has been way too many years since my last visit.
I have a general question about Australian or more specific Victorian birth registrations. I have a friend who's tree I am piecing together. Her mother was born in 1924. Now I know the indexes go to only 1917 but there seems to be some things that I dont get with this registration.
Her Grandmother was only 16 when the daughter was born and she was born at Abbotsford Convent. I gather they were Aussie versions of work houses. Now my friends mother is still alive and has a birth extract but my friend went to Victorian BMD in the city and they say they cannot find a registration. My brief read states that it is the parents obligation to register the birth. My thinking was that if there is a birth extract there must be a registration. Am I wrong? My friend has contacted the Womens Hospital to see if the birth is registered there and the Convent doesnt keep records, the church does and they are not available til the end of the month. Is there another angle that this can be attacked or researched from?
Her mothers name is Gilbert. Mothers name was Olive May Gilbert. The extract has the DOB as 19/05/1924.To my friends knowledge, there is no father's name. One reason she wanted to get a birth cert just incase a name is there.
Thx for any help
Duane
Broughton London
Phillips-Broughton London

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Registration
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 January 18 01:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi

You state your friend's mum is still alive, so if the person you name in your post is that living person please use your modify option and remove her names as it is against the rules here at RChat.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 January 18 01:44 GMT (UK) »
An extract ... is it on paper with a watermark?  I know that NSW no longer issues extracts , but when it did,  they were on NSW BDM paper  and inclued watermark.  Extracts in NSW were issued until about mid 1970s when BDM centralised processes to HQ Sydney.  Perhaps similar in VIC .... may I suggest an email enquiry to VIC bdm should give you a written response as to how to obtain full birth cert in respect of current extract ... they would likely expect the enquiry from the person named on the extract .. privacy/ sensitive info ..

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline screwlooose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 January 18 01:50 GMT (UK) »
Sorry about posting her name. Her mum is in her 90's and has given permission for me to do the research, so I thought it would be ok. Rules are rules and the name has been removed.
thx for the heads up.
Duane
Broughton London

Offline screwlooose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 January 18 01:57 GMT (UK) »
Thx for the reply. She went into the registry in Melbourne and they said that there was no record on their computer of the birth. I just felt it was strange that there was an extract issued. My question wuld have been, "where did the info come from to put on the extract?? It must have come from a record somewhere". I suggested she apply online for a birth cert and to fill it in as it was her mum. If they ask for any supporting documentation as a follow up, she can supply it. They asked her why her mother wasnt at BMD to apply in person and she reminded them that her mum was in her 90's and its not as if u can park out the front. As it was she waited in line for an hr just to be told they couldnt find anything. It just seems all a bit weird. I thought that maybe, as she was illigitimate that maybe the birth was registered under a different name, but she got an extract so her name is documented somewhere.
Thx
Broughton London

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 January 18 02:06 GMT (UK) »
Her mum would likely have needed birth cert (not extract) for any Centrelink dealings for any OAP...

JM

Offline screwlooose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 January 18 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Not sure about that. Nowerdays u are probably right but back in the 70's and earlier, probably not. Im 56 and never had a birth cert, only ever had an extract. Now a licence and even a passport will suffice. Never needed one to open a bank account. My eldest son doesnt have my last name and yet I opened bank accounts, signed him up at school and footy with my last name and never had to show anything. That was in the 80's. So it is a pretty modern thing the ID stuff.
My friend says her mum has only ever had an extract and she has lived her whole life with her mum. She said her got the extract in the 1970's. It just seems a bit strange. I think it is to do with the mother being sent to a convent for the birth, being only 16. Back then the church was a law unto its self. Its just the birth extract thing that keeps throwing a spanner in every idea I get.
Duane
Broughton London

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 January 18 02:42 GMT (UK) »
The changes for ID ie 100 points etc came about around same time as the late Christopher Skase escaped on a Passport that may not have been valid.  You wont get far seeking an Au passport without a full birth cert ... and it needs to be one that uses current form not earlier form...  agree re 1970s  I married that decade ... very little ID needed ...' known to clergy'  same with bank acct 'known to staff'  and for learners permit 'kts' ...  but Centrelink was not known as that back in 1970s ...  And it can have strict uncompromising ID rules ...

You may find your 1924 born lass needs to make the enquiry ... NSWBDM can cope with searching by date ... so perhaps VIC can too, but perhaps counter staff trained to protect the info in their registers where they are within restricted access periods..

JM.

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 January 18 02:43 GMT (UK) »
Maybe contact the Good Shepherd Archives re any records from the Abbotsford Convent?
https://www.findandconnect.gov.au/ref/vic/biogs/E000729b.htm

M :)