Author Topic: Birth Registration  (Read 2504 times)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Registration
« Reply #9 on: Friday 19 January 18 02:50 GMT (UK) »
When was the birth record extract issued.....date and authorisation should be on it.

Who applied for it....Does it have a file number, record number......

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 19 January 18 02:54 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother was born in Queensland in 1912 and she personally only ever obtained an extract of birth when she reached pension age.  I have this document and it is interesting that the 'entry number' on the extract is different from the registration number on her full birth certificate.  I also would have thought that the numbers should match.

Debra  :)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 19 January 18 02:56 GMT (UK) »
The extract includes the age of mother...........if not, where are you seeing her age.

And the extract includes the exact place of birth....seems like a lot of information for an extract.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 19 January 18 03:03 GMT (UK) »
NSWBDM extracts ... the number will not match up to either the a) local line number of the local register from the local district or b) the registration number issued by the formal process at the central registrar generals office from the quarterly returns submitted from conmencement civil rego 1856 until mid 1970s when computerisation introduced at NSW BDM.  Ie there were blank numbered forms issued to the various BDM deputies who could look up their local registers and issue extract based on local registration  NOT Sure how Vic BDM operated

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline screwlooose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 19 January 18 03:17 GMT (UK) »
Thx for that. I believe she has been in contact with the Convent and they directed her to the church but their achavist or whoever can help isnt avail til the end of the month, so she is waiting for that.
The whole Convent thing is another strange set of facts. The family placed Olive in the convent for the birth as she was only 16. After the birth they took the child to raise it but left Olive at the convent. They never lied or hid anything from the child, but left her mother in the convent. It was only when my friends mother got married, she and her husbant went to the convent and, "signed her mother out", and she went to live with her daughter.
Again, all a bit weird. My friend says her grandmother wasnt disabled or had interlectual problems, and yet her family left her at the convent for 20 years after the child was born.
The convent ran a laundrete, so women worked for their food and bed.
Duane
Broughton London
Phillips-Broughton London

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 19 January 18 03:32 GMT (UK) »
What is the document that you have, that you are identifying as an extract.

When was the birth record extract issued.....date and authorisation should be on it.

Who applied for it....Does it have a file number, record number......

What outcome are you wanting from this enquiry. Will the original birth record have more information than the "extract" that you have?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 19 January 18 03:39 GMT (UK) »
Sadly it was  actually NOT unusual for daughter to be abandoned by family and left at Convent  ...  'fallen women' were often no longer acknowledged by their family ... and without social security benefits 1920s  a single woman would have no financial help at all ...

Different times had different practices.

RED post ...important questions there

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline screwlooose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 19 January 18 03:49 GMT (UK) »
OK. The reason we are after a birth cert is to see if there is a registered fathers name. We think there will be no fathers name registered but need to check. Her mother said that no one ever gave her a name and her mum never told her a name. I was just enquiring on here coz the fact an extract exists but BMD records office in Melb say there isnt a birth on record purplexed me and I thought I might be missing something. Could be a computer error I suppose, but she took the extract to the BMD records office and they still say there is no birth on their system.
This is the info from the extract.
It has her full name and her date of birth. It has extracted entry No 121454 and the date issued, 19 Nov 1953 It has, 're application FOL MEMO 169517'. Then at the bottom it has, 'official number of entry 10587'.
Broughton London

Offline screwlooose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 19 January 18 03:56 GMT (UK) »
Thx JM. Yeah I understand the thing about families not acnowledging things. I just get a bit confused when they raise the child. My friend says that her mum was never lied to about how she came into the world or who and where her mother was, and yet they left their child in the convent for over 20 years. I asked why she didnt just leave and suppose she could have but then what could she have done or lived. She was only 16. She got fed and a bed so it wouldnt take much to get used to it. She could have even been told she couldnt leave. People werent as informed as they are now. Still makes me shake my head.
Says a bit about the daughter though, that she went and got her mum. She got her out in the 1940's and her mum lived with her til 91 yrs old, dying in 1999.
Duane
Broughton London