Author Topic: New Zealand Birth Records  (Read 601 times)

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
New Zealand Birth Records
« on: Friday 19 January 18 06:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,
I learnt something today, and just in case I was not the only person who hadn't quite realised the ramifications, I am going to tell you about my ignorance.
I was looking for a birth in the 1880's, and was searching from 01/01/1880 - 31/12/1889, but could not find it.
Found the birth date from an online family tree, but I always have to check for myself.
Entered the birth date - and there he was - with the registration number in the 1910's.
Aha I thought and wrote off to BDM's.
I had to read the answer several times before the penny dropped.
It was a late registration - he was actually 30 - and no doubt he had applied for his own birth certificate.
I put in the search dates from 01/01/1880 - 31/12/1950 (really covering all bases now) and magically, there he was.
Lesson learnt - Do not be too restrictive with dates.

Now you can all go and have a laugh.
Jean
Fawcett, Down; Gibson, Ayrshire and Tasmania; James, Cornwall and Victoria Aus; Cox, Northamptonshire, Thomas, Gloucestershire; Albury, Berkshire,

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
Re: New Zealand Birth Records
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 January 18 07:09 GMT (UK) »
 Okay I will laugh ;D ;D ;D ;D

Happens to us all ...whether on BDM's or elsewhere.  I could never find an ancestors birth, no matter how much I navigated Scotlands People. Just a couple of days ago, I finally found the oldest daughter's  birth/baptism record, even though I had searched with an "s" added on to the surname (just in case), over the last few years, and as I was browsing up the page, the elusive ancestor jumped out, he was an adult baptism, finally found the month and day of his birth.  He got baptised a couple of months before the birth.

Cheers
KHP

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: New Zealand Birth Records
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 January 18 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Yes it can happen to anywhere, not only NZ.

I was at the GRO in Edinburgh last week and found a marriage dated 1935
The bride was born circa 1914, so I started to search for her birth.

It seems that her birth was either not registered at the time or it was missing.
Eventually, I found it.
  It was entered onto the register in 1935 showing that she was born in 1914, 2yrs  prior to her parents marriage.
Her father registered her birth just a few weeks prior to her marriage

She must have been asked to produce her BC for her impending marriage.

Her father?
His birth was another mystery that, after 4 years of searching, I finally managed to unravel during the same GRO visit and it's not at all what I expected !