Author Topic: Where is Sunborn, Essex?  (Read 1683 times)

Offline dawn-in-nz

• RootsChat Member
  • Cheers....Dawn ©¿©¬
    • View Profile
Where is Sunborn, Essex?
« on: Friday 19 January 18 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Back in about 1793 Isaac BROWN was born in a place called Sunborn in Essex according to his entry in the 1851 census.

I have tried EVERYTHING I can think of to find where Sunborn might be but so far it's eluding me. Mr Google seems to think I want to book into a very overpriced Sunborn Yacht Hotel!

I've even looked to see if there is anyone else who says they were born in Sunborn, Essex in any of the census and out of the hundreds of people in them all there are five who say they were born in either Sunborn or King Sunborn which is in Hampshire, one from Sunborn in Huntingdonshire and another in Suffolk.

Google Maps has never heard of any of them apart from the Luxury Yacht in London.

British History Online was no help either.

The old maps in the National Library of Scotland doesn't know it either although they did give me a list of alternatives and one of them was King's Somborne which is in Hampshire so I'm guessing that's where most of the people in the census were from.

Which doesn't help me with Sunborn in Essex! Isaac Brown died in 1858 so that's the only census I have his birthplace in. In 1841 and his wife in the next three census was living in various places in London with all their children being baptised at St George in the East, Tower Hamlets or St Leonard's Church in Shoreditch.

I'd like to look for him on SEAX but without indices it would take me forever to search through all the available parishes, I need to know which parish Sunborn is in, if indeed there is such a place in Essex!

HELP please......

cheers....Dawn
I live in NZ & am researching:-
The WILSONs of Longnor Staffordshire, Winster Derbyshire, Birkenhead Cheshire thence to New Zealand.
http://tinyurl.com/kua7g57

Online PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Sunborn, Essex?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 January 18 11:37 GMT (UK) »
I can't even find the 1851 census entry.
Can you provide more detail?

There's a Stamborne.  http://www.historyhouse.co.uk/placeS/essexs19.html

on that page, it's shown as Samborne ( Cary's New and Correct English Atlas, 1798 )
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 January 18 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Is he the Isaac Brown who is a Farm Bailiff?

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 January 18 11:59 GMT (UK) »
In 1851 Isaac can be found at:

Household schedule number:
Piece:
Folio:
Page Number:

Place of birth does look like Sunborn .... but the 'r' looks a little different from others on the page.  :-\

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 January 18 12:12 GMT (UK) »
A bit left of centre, but as there appears to be no such place as Sunborn in Essex, i was wondering if boundaries had changed. Best I can come up with is Sudbury in Suffolk:

SUDBURY, a parish, market town, and municipal borough, chiefly in the hundred of Babergh, county Suffolk, but including the parish of Ballingdon-cum-Brundon, county Essex,

:-\

Bit of a stretch I know.  :)

There is a Sunbury is Middlesex ....  :-\ I can't see anything that looks like Sunborn I'm afraid.

Offline dawn-in-nz

• RootsChat Member
  • Cheers....Dawn ©¿©¬
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 January 18 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much everyone, I do believe that PaulineJ may have hit the nail on the head! I'll look into Stambourne/Sambourn in Essex.

I think all your questions may have been answered by someone else now, so thank you all once again. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers....Dawn
The WILSONs of Longnor Staffordshire, Winster Derbyshire, Birkenhead Cheshire thence to New Zealand.

Offline dawn-in-nz

• RootsChat Member
  • Cheers....Dawn ©¿©¬
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 January 18 01:01 GMT (UK) »
Well I didn't have any luck in the Stambourne, Essex parish records, back to the drawing board.

I did find a Stambourne Way in the borough of Croydon (or Bromley) in London but Isaac said in the 1841 census he was NOT born in the county he was living in at the time, Finsbury in Middlesex, so I'm sticking with either Essex or one of the counties on the border with Essex.

I might give Sudbury a go too.

Cheers....Dawn

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 January 18 02:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just so you know, Croydon's in Surrey, Bromley's in Kent

Good luck!
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline dawn-in-nz

• RootsChat Member
  • Cheers....Dawn ©¿©¬
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 January 18 02:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Stevie, it sure is a minefield! I'm currently looking at all the parishes around Stambourne in Essex, plenty of Browns but none that look familiar so far.