Author Topic: News paper  (Read 525 times)

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
News paper
« on: Friday 19 January 18 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   I am trying to find out if there was any coverage of a ancestors 1951 death, her name was Barbara Morrison from Preston Lancashire and she was aged 16 or 17yrs  when she died, I heard she had been knocked down by a car but have nothing to back this up, could anyone point me in the right direction where I could search through the papers on line as I live in Ireland and can not get over to Preston to search through the library. 
Mitchell Ireland Gavin Ireland  Morrison Ireland Hogan Ireland Kelly Ireland Duggan Ireland

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: News paper
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 January 18 12:21 GMT (UK) »
The death certificate should give more information as to what caused her death.  It will also give a date to narrow down any newspaper search
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 January 18 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply Rosie,
                          Have sent for the cert but was hoping that such a young life brought to an end might have been published in the local paper.
Mitchell Ireland Gavin Ireland  Morrison Ireland Hogan Ireland Kelly Ireland Duggan Ireland

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 January 18 12:55 GMT (UK) »
I am not seeing anything online for her, though others may have more success.  :-\   

The death was registered March qtr 1951 which could also mean that she died in 1950.  If there was an inquest I believe this would also delay the issue of a death certificate.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 January 18 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried this website that has some newspapers that cover Preston. Just click on the appropriate link for coverage of the year.

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/titles/lancashire-evening-post
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 January 18 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rena,
                        have not found her but have found other article's that I would like to purchase but having trouble joining  (error message saying I am  already registered but don't have a password) bit frustrating but will find a way around it. :)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 January 18 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Try your local library to see if they have a FindMyPast subscription, they might have opted to take newspapers as well, not all do as it's an added expense.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 January 18 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Have got a subscription with findmypast but the papers only go to 1949.