Author Topic: Margaret McNulty - O'Rourke - Born Ireland, Lived in America 1908  (Read 974 times)

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Margaret McNulty - O'Rourke - Born Ireland, Lived in America 1908
« on: Friday 19 January 18 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone

I am wanting someone to confirm me that the person I have found is the only possibility?

I have in my family tree a Sarah McAnulty who married a Daniel Rooney, who is the daughter of Edward McAnulty, Castlewellan (Co Down).

Now there only seems to be one Edward McAnulty in Castlewellan, at the date of the wedding, so I have worked through the valuation records, I have found Edward on the 1901 census, with his wife Mary and Daughter Mary (aged 40)

His wife (Mary) died in 1908, and I her will has left a sum of money to her daughter Margaret O'Rourke in America.

It is Margaret O'Rourke I have been looking for.

I have found one very strong possibility in Pittsburg, Margaret McNulty, married to Patrick O'Rourke, and on her death certificate (Date of Death 1 Jan 1936, Mercy Hospital, Pittsburg) her parents are listed as Edward McNulty and Mary Burns. I have more details on this Margaret O'Rourke, including that she has 3 children (BUT this is from an ancestry tree).
I am unable to find any details of her marriage or the birth of her children.

Can anyone find any other Margaret O'Rourke (nee McNulty (or McAnulty) in the US in 1908 (Date of her mothers will), and born 1850's/1860's before I continue on the search for marriage and birth records.

The sister Mary still at home was born in 1861, and the sister Sarah in 1855, so her birth should be around this period too.

McClean, Kelly, Murray, Higgins, McAnulty (McNulty, Conalty, Kinolty), Morgan, Rafferty, McPolin (All Co Down, Ireland) Bowman, Hooper(Yorkshire)

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret McNulty - O'Rourke - Born Ireland, Lived in America 1908
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 January 18 16:16 GMT (UK) »
There are literally dozens of people in the 1910 census named Margaret O'Rourke who were born in Ireland between 1850 and 1865.  It simply isn't feasible to go through them all to figure out their maiden names and 'prove' that none was named McAnulty.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Online Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 January 18 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Looks like a Margaret is on the 1910 USA census living at Jersey City Ward 12, Hudson, New Jersey, United States.  Listed with her is her husband Patrick and daughter Hedwig age 20, born in New Jersey.  Patrick appears to be a foreman at a mill.

They have been married for 33 years according to the census, so married in 1877.

The immigration year is given as 1872 for both of them, so did they marry in the USA?

The below link should take you to the original image

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-GRKH-SSR?i=6&cc=1727033

I'll have a look and see if I can find an earlier census.

However there are a number of Margarets and Patricks any one of which could be the one you want.  Do you know the names of her children?
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 January 18 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately I know absolutely nothing expect that Margaret is McAnulty, father is Edward, Mother Mary and that she was living in the US in 1908 and is now Margaret O'Rourke.

I believe the family I have found in Pittsburg may be the correct family (due to the death cert), and the only child listed is Mary.

I would need a marriage certificate for Margaret McNulty and Patrick O'Rourke to help confirm this though, and I can't find one (I am assuming they were married in the US as the children were born in the US)
McClean, Kelly, Murray, Higgins, McAnulty (McNulty, Conalty, Kinolty), Morgan, Rafferty, McPolin (All Co Down, Ireland) Bowman, Hooper(Yorkshire)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 January 18 19:02 GMT (UK) »
For reference, Will was written in 1904-
Probate of the Will of Mary McNulty late of Castlewellan County Down Widow who died 27 December 1908 granted at Belfast to Mary McNulty Spinster. Effects £87 10s. 0d.
(see https://apps.proni.gov.uk/WillsCalendar_IE/WillsSearch.aspx search for Mary McNulty then click on image to see wording of Will)

Death of Edward McNulty (1903)-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1903/05648/4590088.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 January 18 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Possible marriage.....

Patrick J ORourke
Margaret McNulty
25 Jun 1891
Possibly Pittsburg Pennsylvania (they are living there)

The image is available through familysearch. No parent's names, unfortunately, but some other bits of info.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 January 18 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Here's that marriage license.  No parents listed.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-GPXZ-9VW1
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 January 18 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Death....

Joseph P ORourke
Born 19 Oct 1898 Pittsburg
Died 13 Nov 1948 Pittsburg
Father Patrick ORourke
Mother Margaret McNulty
Informant Mary F ORourke

PB

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada