Author Topic: Ashdowns in Rotherfield area  (Read 1239 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Ashdowns in Rotherfield area
« on: Friday 19 January 18 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am hoping someone can help me locate a christening in Rotherfield [or the neighbouring parishes].

I have a copy of the 1689 Will of William Ovenden of Rotherfield and in it he appoints his "brother in law" William Ovenden, as one of the executors, and his "father in law" William Ovenden, as an overseer. I know that William Ovenden married Mary Ashdown in Rotherfield on 24 April 1683 [Parish Registers].

This all suggests that Mary the daughter of William Ashdowne and had a brother called William as well. Given that they were married in 1683, and given that two of William's children are described as "under twenty one", I suspect that Mary was probably born in the 1650s or 1660s.

Unfortunately, despite an extensive search on Familysearch, I have not been able to find a Mary Ashdown, born to a William Ashdown, in this time period. There is one born to a John Ashdown [who also had a son named William], but the Will clearly states that William Ovenden's father in law was "William Ashdown" not John. Could that be a mistake in the Will?

Is anyone able to check the parish registers of Rotherfield and the surrounding parishes between about 1640 and 1670 for a christening of Mary Ashdown [daughter of William]?

Alternatively could his father in law be John, not William?

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ashdowns in Rotherfield area
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 January 18 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt, this is a bit confusing because in the first line of the second para you have put William Ovenden brother in law and William Ovenden father in law as well as the will writer being William Ovenden too.

Later on I think you sort of correct yourself by looking for brother and father of Mary Ashdown but think you need to modify your original post to show brother in law and father in law both as William Ashdown rather than William Ovenden.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ashdowns in Rotherfield area
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 January 18 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt, this is a bit confusing because in the first line of the second para you have put William Ovenden brother in law and William Ovenden father in law as well as the will writer being William Ovenden too.

Later on I think you sort of correct yourself by looking for brother and father of Mary Ashdown but think you need to modify your original post to show brother in law and father in law both as William Ashdown rather than William Ovenden.

Pheno

Hiya

Sorry I think it's because there are lots of Williams involved, William Ovenden (the testator) and the two William Ashdowns named in the Will.

I'm attaching images with this post so you can see what it says. In the first two images the testator [William Ovenden] states:

"All the residue of my goods Cattell Chattell & Personal Estate whatsoever I give and bequeath unto my Brother John Ovenden and my Brother in Law William Ashdown"

Further on in this second extract he states "I do hereby make nominate and appoint the said John Ovenden & William Ashdown joint Executors of this my Last Will and Testament"

So he is clearly stating that he has a brother in law named William Ashdown, who presumably is the brother of Mary Ashdown.

In the third extract [taken from the end of the second page] William Ovenden [the testator] states:

"I do hereby make and appoint my uncle Joseph Moon My father in Law William Ashdown and my cousin James Ovenden overseers of this my Last Will and Testament"

I know William Ovenden was married to Mary Ashdown and the details in this Will suggest that Mary Ashdown was the daughter of a William Ashdown, and that she also had a brother named William Ashdown.

The problem is that I can't find any sign of a christening for a Mary Ashdown who was the daughter of a William Ashdown. There is a William Ashdown christened in Rotherfield in 1666 who is the son of William and Mary Ashdown, however I can't find an Elizabeth. The only christening for an Elizabeth AshdownI have found is in Easebourne in 1662, but that's 60miles away so I don't think that is my Elizabeth.

Hope that helps a bit.

Matt