Author Topic: The Griffith family of Criccieth  (Read 3605 times)

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Griffith family of Criccieth
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Philip
I thought it must be the same Anne Hughes.
I do not think the Henry Griffith who died in 1838 is your ancestor since this one was married to Mary Hughes in 1800. see http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lg9/ 
There is a Henry Griffith of "Bodgeua" aged 38 who was buried on the 27 April 1819 and is probably Henry II. 
Anne was buried with her patronymic name i.e. Anne Hughes "Bodgauaf" aged 92 buried on 24 December 1859.

Glyn
Jones - Penmachno/Blaenau Ffestiniog/Capel Garmon
Thomas - Abererch/Porthmadog
Evans - Llangelynin/Llanaelhaern
Jones - Pwllheli/Abererch
Brammer - Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire
Robb - London/Scotland

Offline Philip Bell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 01 February 18 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Glynn! Oh well, unfortunately  I have already ordered a copy of the death cert of Henry 2 and what I thought were likely death certs for Ann! I hadn't expected her to live so long. I am out of my comfort zone before 1838! Where did you find the 1819 burial? I can only find marriages and baptisms on the Ffor site.

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 01 February 18 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Philip
If you have paid your £5 donation to yffor.com it is going to be easier to take you further back in your family tree. Don't worry I made some big mistakes when I started and there are some real howlers on Ancestry.com.
Click on "Cemeteries" at the top of the page. Go down to the line starting "Bryncroes (1886)" move across to "1813-1884" and left click on it. The searchable database will open. If you want to find Henry's burial record I suggest pressing on "Name" at the top which will rearrange the christian names alphabetically. Go to the bottom of the table where the arrows are and keep pressing the right one until you reach the Henrys and you should find yours under ID85.
You can do the same by pressing on all the table headings, try "Abode" and look for "Bodgua" and its variations. You should find Anne Hughes ID545.
Next try finding Henry II's parents. We know he was 38 when he died in 1819 which would indicate he was born around 1782.
Press "Church/Chapel" at the top of the page, go down to "BRYNCROES REGISTER OF BAPTISM" and across to "1732-1799" left click on it. Again click on the heading "NAME" and search for the Henrys look for a father whose christian name is "Griffith" and you have the baptism record ID 354. You now have his parents, abode and father's occupation.
Let me know how you get on

All the best

Glyn
Robb - London/Scotland

Offline Philip Bell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 02 February 18 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello Glyn.
Thanks again for the advice. I hadn't realised there was a search function and hadn't spotted the link through cemeteries to the burial records. Such a brilliant site, great value for £5! I will be totally spoiled when I look into the Flintshire records for my GGF John Leighton - still no trace of his death!
Thanks again
Philip

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 02 February 18 19:24 GMT (UK) »
I am glad you are getting some success with the Yffor.com. I would just point out that it only covers Caernarfonshire and is work in progress. Therefore it will be no help for finding John Leighton unless he landed up in that county.

Glyn
Robb - London/Scotland

Offline Philip Bell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 03 February 18 13:06 GMT (UK) »
OK Glyn, thanks. I did realise that. Presently researching what is available. FindMyPast have Flintshire burial records but, as you said about Ancestry, the quality of the transcriptions are variable!
Philip