Author Topic: Monumental Inscription Project  (Read 854 times)

Offline Coolbreeze

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Monumental Inscription Project
« on: Friday 19 January 18 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

I was wondering if there are any rules around carrying out a Monumental Inscription Project. Obviously the information is already in the public domain as anyone can visit a grave. I'm under the understanding that Burial books held by Town Councils, Churches etc are different and Freedom of Information rules are involved etc and you cannot just put a project online or give a printed version to your local museum etc. I have always found this all a grey area in research. Probably because i do not know enough about this side of it all. I was just wondering any rules apply to recording grave information.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Monumental Inscription Project
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 January 18 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Have you asked your local family history society?

They are often instrumental in these types of projects and know how to overcome the pitfalls.

Some municipal cemeteries insist that you can only record the informtion from a headstone relating to your family, not the whole cemetery.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 January 18 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

I was wondering if there are any rules around carrying out a Monumental Inscription Project. Obviously the information is already in the public domain as anyone can visit a grave. I'm under the understanding that Burial books held by Town Councils, Churches etc are different and Freedom of Information rules are involved etc and you cannot just put a project online or give a printed version to your local museum etc. I have always found this all a grey area in research. Probably because i do not know enough about this side of it all. I was just wondering any rules apply to recording grave information.

Your first assumption is wrong Gravestones are subject to copyright and many new ones will not automatically be “in the public domain” for many years. Being in a public place or being accessible to the public does not make a piece of art or literature “in the public domain”, that is a precise legal term.

That aside all graveyards, burial grounds and cemeteries are owned by someone or some thing (Church, council, private individual etc.), before photographing and/or transcribing the gravestones gain permission from the site “owner”. I have never been refused permission to photograph and transcribe gravestones, offer a copy of the images and transcriptions to the Church etc. on DVD. This may also help to sway the decision of anyone with any doubts as churches etc. are under a legal obligation to photograph and record any and all gravestones that are removed, so having a record of them may be a very useful thing for the church to have.
The vicar might even allow you to transcribe the grave/plot or lair register.

You mention Freedom of Information rules; they have nothing to do with what you are suggesting and assume you are thinking about Data Protection legislation.
The Data Protection Act (DPA) does not cover dead people as long as you are not recording details of the plot owners (living people) you will not run into difficulties, but in any case this will only apply in the case of the grave/plot or lair register.
The DPA does not cover personal details that are open to public view as there can be no understanding of confidential information on something on public display.

The above is simply a long winded way of saying be polite and ask the “landowner” for permission before you start and there will be no problems.

Thank you for embracing a rewarding project.

I would also note if you add a contact address to the finished project you may be surprised at the number of people worldwide who email or write to thank you for giving them the opportunity to being able to view their ancestors, and even their recently departed loved ones.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Coolbreeze

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 January 18 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your replies. It is all very interesting.