Author Topic: Solomon Family in Australia  (Read 10700 times)

Offline chrisferguson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Solomon Family in Australia
« on: Friday 19 January 18 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Researching my family tree and have hit a roadblock with regards to my maternal great grandfather.

My Mothers maiden name is Esdaile and Her father Herbert Esdaile changed his name from Herbert Solomon by deed poll in 1949.

My family has no idea why the Esdaile name was chosen.

My great grandfather was an Ernest Solomon also known as Ernest Esdaile

Ernest Solomon born 1877 and on the 1911 census has his birthplace as Milbourne Australia Colonial - i am assuming it is a typo and melbourne is the place of birth.

He died in 1917 and his surname on the death records and on his marriage certificate is shown as solomon.

However on the 1911 census and his trade union membership it is given as Esdaile.

I have found 2 records of him emigating to australia in 1887 at the of 10 and in 1911 at34.

His father is noted as Jacob Solomon on his marriage certificate.

The problem i now face is i cannot find any trace of an Ernest Esdaile or Ernest Solomon being born in Australia in 1877.

Does anyone have access to a solomon family tree with links to the esdaile name or could suggestions ?

Thank you

Chris

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Solomon Family in Australia
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 January 18 19:46 GMT (UK) »

His arrival, 1887, would be the earliest evidence you would have of his existence?

"......I have found 2 records of him emigating to australia in 1887 at the of 10 and in 1911 at 34."

What family name does he use for each arrival......ship details please.....who is he with.....family members...for each arrival.

Offline chrisferguson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 January 18 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Arrival in 1887 is the earliest record I can find assuming it is the same person on Australian records.

On british records the earliest record is the 1911 census under the Esdaile surname.

Could not find a passenger list as was assuming he would have been accompanied.

departed London 11/1/1887

Arrived brisbane 08/03/1887

Ship was the Almora.

I have attached refence and census return.

Kind regards

Chris

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 January 18 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris,
   I'm not sure if this is relevant ... are Florrie and Stella ESDAILE (SOLOMON) in your family?

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article57992374

Soubrette-soprano Ruby Esdale is no relation to Florrie and Stella Es-
daile (an "I" please), the real name of the latter being Solomon. They lived
next door to the Princess Theatre, Melbourne, and took their stage name
from the Esdaile piano.

Ros

adding : No it seems unlikely (well it was a long shot  ;D ).  Stella Esdaile was a granddaughter of John SOLOMON, a well-known citizen of Hokitika, NZ http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ldi/
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline chrisferguson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 January 18 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ros,

That is really useful thank you,i will investigate and see if there is any extended family from Stella Esdaile that links to mine.

I have very little information regards possible family in Australia literally only that my Great Grandfather was born there and his fathers name.

Chris

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 January 18 20:44 GMT (UK) »
The family on the Almora in 1887 was Robert and Ulma SOLOMON and children from Switzerland.

Debra  :)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 January 18 21:18 GMT (UK) »

"..My Mothers maiden name is Esdaile and Her father Herbert Esdaile changed his name from Herbert Solomon by deed poll in 1949."

At 1949, where in Australia is your SOLOMON / ESDALE.

What state did they live in.

Offline chrisferguson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 January 18 22:07 GMT (UK) »
thanks everyone for the help.

Ros i have found Stella Esdaile living in lambeth in 1911 only a stones throw from my grand-dad's address in kennington.

Singing family from Australia i have also found some english papers from the time showing here in panto and theatre shows.

I am thinking it cannot be a co-incedence there cannot be 2 families known as esdaile but born as solomon living so close to each other at the same time ?

Sadly there isnt a father detailed on Stella Esdailes census so cant tell if she is a younger sister or prehaps a cousin.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 January 18 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris,
  I added to my previous post - Stella's grandfather was John SOLOMON of NZ.  :(   

Incidentally Florrie married George F PACK (composer and conductor) and lived in England, her daughter was Mrs V GRUTE and Florrie's sister Stella became Mrs ROTHENBERG of Wellington.  http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article205212985

I was starting to think it was a red herring

Ros

But I will look for more on John SOLOMON of NZ
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland