Author Topic: Help! trouble with CD drive opening new Cds  (Read 1390 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Help! trouble with CD drive opening new Cds
« on: Friday 19 January 18 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Just got 4 new CDs from Huddersfield FHS.

I used a couple of them earlier with no problems, other than they didn't open automatically, as most of the CDs I buy do. Instead, I got a new window with an icon named Temporary CD Burn which I've never come across before. I clicked on this and another window opened with about 6 icons with all the different items on the CD including the main feature - Almondbury Baptisms.

I stopped for tea but left the PC on.When I returned and tried to insert another Cd, it wasn't having any of it! Sometimes nothing happened, sometimes it said 'not responding'. I tried another of the 4 new CDs - same result. I then tried one of my old CDs which has never given me any problems - it wouldn't work either.

Panic!

Switched the pC off and left it for an hour. Just switched back on - tried an old CD first - fine. Then tried one of the 4 new ones, got the Temporary CD Burn window, clicked it and the ensuing icon and it worked. Then tried another of the new ones - not working again - for any of the new ones!!

I think its something to do with this Temporary CD Burn malarkey but, not being in any way PC savvy, I have no idea what! I don't see how it can be the CDs themselves as the two I was working with this afternoon seemed to be operating just fine.

Any help gratefully received.

HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Help! trouble with CD drive opening new Cds
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 January 18 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Windows computer I presume.

Close the burn window (alt f4 or x in top rh corner probably), you don't want to be playing with that.

Now hold down the windows (start) key (bottom lhs of keyboard), press the letter e, then release both.  This should open what used to be called file manager.  Navigate to the cd drive (possibly e:\) and you should get a list of files on the disc.  They will very likely be pdf files as it's an fhs cd.  If it's not obvious which one you need there might be one called start.

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 January 18 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Jane,

Thanks for your reply.

Before I do what you suggest, can I run something by you?

I've been googling and have read that, if you hold the CD up to the light shiny side facing you, and you can see light through, then its kaput.

I've got 3 of the 4 new CDs to work through clicking on CD Drive in the search menu but the 4th one - I think - is what has been causing all the problems. I noticed after the first use that its label was peeling off (just one of the FHS's stuck on) and I thought I had smoothed it back down. However, I see now that the lable has brought off a chunk of the shiny side of the CD with it - and I'm thinking that it is now beyond repair. If so, I shall have to send it back to Huddersfield FHS and hope they can replace it. Shoddy, to say the least!

Actually, I've used a different method to what you suggested but have already got into the CD Drive - all it does is show at the top a green line slowly (very slowly) going from left to right as it loads but never actually doing anything else.

HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 January 18 21:57 GMT (UK) »
I have never held one up to the light but it does sound as if that particular disc has been physically damaged by the label, hopefully they'll be sympathetic and send you out a replacement or possibly email the files to you.  I have no experience of this partic fhs but all the ones I've had dealings with have always been more than accommodating.
ALLEN
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 January 18 22:04 GMT (UK) »
I have never held one up to the light but it does sound as if that particular disc has been physically damaged by the label, hopefully they'll be sympathetic and send you out a replacement or possibly email the files to you.  I have no experience of this partic fhs but all the ones I've had dealings with have always been more than accommodating.

Thanks, I hope you're right. I must admit that the FHSs I've dealt with have always been very helpful.

I've just emailed the chap and will see what happens - of course, it would have to be the one covering most of the timescale I'm looking for!! Sods Law!!
HELP!!!

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 January 18 22:04 GMT (UK) »
An afterthought - fhs's are run by volunteers and the person who produced your discs may not even realise there's a problem with how he/she labels them.  They evidently don't know about closing/finishing them properly so the next user doesn't get a burn message.  Get them onside.  Be nice and don't use words like shoddy  :)
ALLEN
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 January 18 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the advice! I think I was firm but polite!!

Is that why I was getting the Temporary CD Burn icon, do you think?
HELP!!!

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 January 18 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Yup
ALLEN
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 January 18 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Jane,

Thanks for your reply.

Before I do what you suggest, can I run something by you?

I've been googling and have read that, if you hold the CD up to the light shiny side facing you, and you can see light through, then its kaput.

I've got 3 of the 4 new CDs to work through clicking on CD Drive in the search menu but the 4th one - I think - is what has been causing all the problems. I noticed after the first use that its label was peeling off (just one of the FHS's stuck on) and I thought I had smoothed it back down. However, I see now that the lable has brought off a chunk of the shiny side of the CD with it - and I'm thinking that it is now beyond repair. If so, I shall have to send it back to Huddersfield FHS and hope they can replace it. Shoddy, to say the least!

Actually, I've used a different method to what you suggested but have already got into the CD Drive - all it does is show at the top a green line slowly (very slowly) going from left to right as it loads but never actually doing anything else.

In case the supplier does not replace the CD for you.

Regarding the "damaged" CD that may or may not actually matter.
A CD is read from the inside of the disk to the outside rim, many CDs only contain data on a small section of the inside of the CD.
If the hole in the coating is near the outside rim of the CD try looking at the side of the cd not covered by the label. You may be able to see the difference in reflected light between the inner portion that contains data and the outer portion that remains unwritten. You may have to tilt the CD slightly as you look at it to see the difference in the two sections.
If the damage is in the unwritten section the CD will work ok, if the damage is in the inner section it will need replacing.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.