Author Topic: Roberts Penrhyn  (Read 9796 times)

Offline Garmor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Roberts Penrhyn
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 08 March 18 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Emyr for your time I really appreciate what you have found out about my family. If the weather is ok tomorrow afternoon I will visit the cemetery and have another look my self

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 10 March 18 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Called at the cemetery yesterday afternoon and cleared the crawling ivy off the kerbstones, and there is no inscription. However, looking at the 'medallion' from a different angle and lighting conditions, I could read 'Gwen J Roberts' near the top, and '1914' at bottom right. In my last posting I said the stone was too small to contain all the wording in the MI booklet. I'd got mixed up and wrongly thought that there were 2 children in E153.
Had the family been C of E, their baptism would have been recorded in the Parish Register, with name of parents and abode. It appears that they were Wesleyan. Unfortunately name of parents aren't included in the burial Parish Records. Gwen died 1900, address is Griffin Terr.. Gwilym John Roberts died 1906, address is Caerffynnon Terr., which is the road that splits off the main road by Deudraeth Garage and continues towards School Street. Track between it and Deudraeth Garage leads to Adwy Ddu Isaf .
Emyr

Offline Garmor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 10 March 18 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I visited the cemetery yesterday before the rain. I have found the grave of Gwen and Gwylim and taken a picture for record. I can also make out some words on Gwen J grave stone, the words Er serchog in a arch shape at the top the name Gwen J Roberts and I can see the word annwyl.
Before going down to Penrhyn I have purchased 3 birth cert Gwen, Gwylim and Gwen J, I will let you know when I receive the cert's.
Gareth

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 11 March 18 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Have previously mentioned newspaper report of Robert Richards, NODDFA, and David Roberts returning from America, and suggesting that perhaps Robert was David's brother in-law. He was not, but he was my gt. uncle! My grandmother's sister, Sarah, married an Edwin Roberts from Penrhyndeudraeth and they lived at Borthygest. Edwin died a few years into the marriage and later Sarah married Robert Richards from PenrhynDD, a widower. Sarah is in 1911 Census at NODDFA, with one son from each marriage. Robert's name and details are included, but crossed out. So both Robert and David seemed to have gone off together again. There is a report in Gwyliedydd Newydd, Wesleyan weekly publication, 03/05/1910 , that David Roberts, precentor in their Penrhyn chapel, was leaving for British Columbia, and that they would be without his services for a while; so obviously was leaving with the intention of returning.
Emyr

Offline Garmor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 12 March 18 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Emyr I have been told that this picture was taken In Canada, Dafydd Roberts is the man with the little girl on his knee. Is it possible that your relation is in the picture also?

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 12 March 18 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Robert Richards died 02/03/1938 aged 58, his son,David Richards, by my gt aunt, died 23/11/1945, aged 38 - knocked off his bicycle by a lorry travelling in same direction, on the hill by Minffordd Cemetery. My gt. Aunt died 11/01/1946 age 72, shortly after my 3d birthday. After she died whatever she had of worth was sold and proceeds went to her son from 1st marriage, John Roberts, by then living in USA. Whatever was left, my grandmother got. When she died, my father inherited, so I might have a photograph somewhere. Do you know when the photograph was taken?
In Yr Herald Cymraeg 30/11/1915 it's reported that:    We're glad to see that Mr Robert Richards, Noddfa, John Phillips, Penygroes and W John Edwards, Ty Eiddew, have returned safely from Canada and are looking well.
No mention of David Roberts. He could have been in Canada with the others, but come back earlier, possibly around time of death of Gwen d. 23.12.1914 .  He was home Jan 1915 , as it's reported that the Band of Hope had been reactivated under David Roberts Adwyddu and Tom Lloyd, Eryri Terr. Can find no reference to him between 1911 - 1914.
John Roberts, Robert Richards' stepson went to Canada, don't know when. He was home, aged 16 time of 1911 Census. I assume he went to join his stepfather. It's reported 10/08/1917 that :     PENRHYNDEUDRAETH    Private John Roberts, Noddfa, arrived home last week from Canada, where he joined the Canadian Contingent.
Emyr

Offline Garmor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 12 March 18 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi, sorry no idea about a date for the photo. Was given the photo by my father first cousin from Talsarnau

Offline Garmor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Emyr, 2 out of 3 birth certificate came today.
Gwylim J Roberts born 20 January 1905
Gwen J Roberts born 22 October 1899

Both have correct parent names just that a change of address as you have indicated on a previous post.
It looks like both Gwen's had the middle name of Jones then.
The other certificate for Gwen (1902-1914) failed and i have received a full refund, I will look again for correct cert.
Gareth

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 15 March 18 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi
According to M.I. E153  Gwen was born 25/11/1901. I suspect that the birth was not registered until 1902:
Name:   Gwen Jones Roberts
Registration Year:   1902
Registration Quarter:   Jan-Feb-Mar
Registration district:   Festiniog
Inferred County:   Merionethshire
Volume:   11b
Page:   335

Is this the one you ordered ?

Will send a PM tonight or tomorrow.
Emyr