Author Topic: 1881 Census - One missing person and one twice  (Read 1052 times)

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
1881 Census - One missing person and one twice
« on: Saturday 20 January 18 07:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rootschatters, maybe someone has better eyesight than me but I am trying to find Nicholas Humble Purves (sometimes noted as Purvis) b. 1835 on the 1881 census but without luck, I have tried all of the UK under both names. He was married to Margery Purves b. 1837. 1861 census has them living in Gillingham, Medway, Kent (although both born in South Shields). 1871 has them back up in Westoe, South Shields with 2 children but the 1881 census has no mention (that I can find) of Nicholas. Their home address is Eldon (listed as Eldin) Street, Westoe and the eldest (living) daughter Maria E (aged 18) is there along with 3 of her brothers and listed as 'head'. Their mother Margery is in Throston, Hartlepool (St. Mary Street) with the youngest daughter Alice (aged 1) and listed as visitors. (Both Margery and Maria are listed as Purvis). So where was Nicholas? He is listed on all census before and after as 'Shipwright' so not someone who would be overseas or sailing on a ship.

Secondly and this might be obvious, although Maria E is listed at Eldon Street, she is also listed as a visitor with a family in Wawn Street, Westoe. It has to be the same person as both are born in New Brompton, Kent in 1863. Not knowing how census worked back then the most obvious answer is that she was visiting friends, got added onto the register there, went home and then got added onto the register there as well. I presume people came around and either completed the form with the families or left them there for the family to complete.
Any assistance in trying to find Nicholas Purves/Purvis would be appreciated.
Many thanks, Paul
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead
Dobson - Westoe & South Shields
Jefferson - South Shields
Rippon - Jarrow & South Shields
Purves & Harvey - South Shields

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1881 Census - One missing person and one twice
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 January 18 08:56 GMT (UK) »
As the census forms were distributed in the week before the census day, it could have been filled in at anytime assuming who would be in the house at midnight on the Sunday. Therefore you sometimes get people enumerated twice, at their usual home,  and at a house they happened to be visiting. This is a fairly common event and has been mentioned before on RootsChat.
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 January 18 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Shipwrights did go to sea so that's the most likely explanation. 
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 January 18 08:55 GMT (UK) »
As the census forms were distributed in the week before the census day, it could have been filled in at anytime assuming who would be in the house at midnight on the Sunday. Therefore you sometimes get people enumerated twice, at their usual home,  and at a house they happened to be visiting. This is a fairly common event and has been mentioned before on RootsChat.
Stan

Hello Stan, once again you have come to my rescue, I appreciate your valuable help.
Thanks, Paul
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 January 18 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Shipwrights did go to sea so that's the most likely explanation.

Hello Shaun, thank you for your help, I didn't know if shipwrights did venture out to sea or not but it seems a plausible reason for not appearing on the census.
Many thanks, Paul