Author Topic: worried - why does Temporary CD Burn window open to access new data CDs?  (Read 1288 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
worried - why does Temporary CD Burn window open to access new data CDs?
« on: Saturday 20 January 18 13:25 GMT (UK) »
I have 4 new data CDs from an FHS. They do not open automatically, but, when I go into the CD drive, a window opens with an icon named Temporary CD Burn. When I click on this icon, another window opens to show me the contents of the CD I'm trying to use.

The second window is normal for data CDs that don't open automatically, but never before have I had to go via this Burn window. I don't want to burn anything, nor have I ever used the Burn facility. So, why are these new CDs taking me there?

This plea for help is linked to this thread of yesterday:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=786091.new;topicseen

and, as you will see, one of the CDs labels was badly stuck down and became even worse when in the CD slot, so much so that I'm convinced its ruined because the label has taken away a great blob of the silver coating so that you can see right through it. The CD certainly will not now load.

I'm now reluctant to try to use any of the other 3 new Cds again (they also only open via the Temorary CD Burn window, as above) and their labels don't look any too well fixed down either.

I'm not tech savvy so am quietly panicking here as to what to do.
HELP!

Jill

HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: worried - why does Temporary CD Burn window open to access new data CDs?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 January 18 13:57 GMT (UK) »

I don't want to burn anything, nor have I ever used the Burn facility. 

Jill

Has anyone else burnt anything??
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 January 18 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Rightly or wrongly windows thinks you have files waiting to be burnt, as other cds work it is possible that these four have not been properly closed when they were burnt so windows is checking to see if they are blank rewritable cds.

I think it is ok but inconvenient to carry on using the three that work, the fourth I would ask for a replacement.

How you get rid of the temporary burn message depends what version of windows you are using, 
some on the same version may be able to help.

Mike

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 January 18 14:52 GMT (UK) »

I don't want to burn anything, nor have I ever used the Burn facility. 

Jill

Has anyone else burnt anything??

No, I'm the only one with access to this PC.
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 January 18 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Rightly or wrongly windows thinks you have files waiting to be burnt, as other cds work it is possible that these four have not been properly closed when they were burnt so windows is checking to see if they are blank rewritable cds.

I think it is ok but inconvenient to carry on using the three that work, the fourth I would ask for a replacement.

How you get rid of the temporary burn message depends what version of windows you are using, 
some on the same version may be able to help.

Mike

That's interesting, Mike. Someone else has suggested that these Cds have not been properly finished, including the fact that the labels aren't attached properly. They are from a reputable FHS so I don't know what's gone on. I've emailed them to ask for a replacement but I'm thinking I should email them again and point out what may be an error by whoever prepares their CDs.
HELP!!!

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 January 18 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Googling seems to suggest strongly that sticking labels on cds is not advisable.

Mike

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 January 18 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Googling seems to suggest strongly that sticking labels on cds is not advisable.

Mike

Presumably unless its done professionally.
HELP!!!

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 January 18 09:39 GMT (UK) »
When you burn a CD you get various options, one of which leaves it 'open' and allows you to add further files later if you haven't completely filled the available space. It sounds like this may be the reason for the 'Burn Window' opening, giving you the option to add more files. If so you can safely close the Burn window and access the CD as suggested by others. CDs produced for sale are normally closed to prevent re-writing.

If it was mine I would copy all the readable files to my hard drive, or to new blank CDs, while waiting for a response from the fhs. At least you would have something to work on in the meantime.

I have labelled CDs in the past with no problems but these days I usually write directly on them. Many CDs have a writeable/printable surface.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 January 18 10:06 GMT (UK) »
I know bu99@r all about Windows computers but I've always understood that one reason to finalise writable disks was to enable them to be read by other computers etc. If this is the case they shouldn't be readable by jillruss's computer.