Author Topic: worried - why does Temporary CD Burn window open to access new data CDs?  (Read 1287 times)

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: worried - why does Temporary CD Burn window open to access new data CDs?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 January 18 10:41 GMT (UK) »
I'm happy to be corrected if anyone has the definitive answer, but my understanding is that 'closing' a data CD simply prevents further files being written to it. If left 'open' the files should be readable by any device using the same file system, but more data files may be burnt on the free space. If it is a re-writeable CD it would also be possible to overwrite the originals.

Music CDs must be closed properly after burning or they will not work in most CD players.

In this case it does seem that someone may have used the wrong settings when burning the CD, and possibly used the wrong or defective labels.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 January 18 11:41 GMT (UK) »
I know bu99@r all about Windows computers but I've always understood that one reason to finalise writable disks was to enable them to be read by other computers etc. If this is the case they shouldn't be readable by jillruss's computer.

The reason for closing off a disc when you burn one was primarily for compatability with some CD or DVD drives - especially those not part of a computer system.
Closing a disc in this manner simply meant that depending upon disc type you couldn't add more information to it. Given a decent CD/DVD drive the computer should be able to read the disc whether closed off or not.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 January 18 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, all.

I have been able to read all 4 CDs, albeit with the Temprary Burn window opening. The main problem is now the labels. One is off completely, and took a good bit of the CD with it - almost got caught up in the CD slot - and another is not looking good, so I have no faith that any of them will stand up to fair wear.

However, the FHS appear to have identified the faulty batch and have said I should receive replacements within 7 days, so I shall wait and hope that the replacements will finally allow me to get cracking!
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 27 January 18 14:38 GMT (UK) »
From what I remember of the days when we copied cds on the computer rather than producing CDs from files on a proper cd producer the Temporary CD Burn is a holding file that should have been deleted after the original cd had been copied. I suggest the CD was removed before the write (burn) process had completed.

I would suggest even using a stamper there is no guarantee the label would be securely fixed to the cd surface. There is also the potential the adhesive used to stick the label to the cd could cause deterioration of the coating over time also any wrinkle in the label has the possibility to damage the read head of any CD player as gap tolerances are small.

We chose direct printing onto disks in 2005 when we first started.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 27 January 18 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Guy.

I have never ever had this problem before, and, over the past 12 years of researching my family history, I have acquired quite a few data Cds from various FHSs (including Anguline). I suspect these have been done - shall we say - 'not professionally' - and I hope it won't be repeated.

The label was wrinkled to start with and then I could literally hear it scrunching in the CD slot - got it out pretty damn quickly though and I don't think there's been any damage to my Cd player.

HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.