Author Topic: Armstrong Bus / Coach Company Ponteland  (Read 1552 times)

Offline Christianmpoulsen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Armstrong Bus / Coach Company Ponteland
« on: Saturday 20 January 18 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Very general query here. Does anyone know anything about a bus company run in Ponteland by Armstrong’s? I think it would have been around late 1890s to 1940s?
The Armstrong branch of my family is fairly closely linked, and I’m trying to find the connection.
Robson (NBL ENGLAND); Armstrong (NBL ENGLAND);Richardson (NBL ENGLAND); Money (NFK & NBL ENGLAND); Gibson (NBL ENGLAND);
Swoish/Swash (NFK ENGLAND);Reed (NBL ENGLAND);
Watson (NBL ENGLAND); Church (NFK ENGLAND); Trobe/Trollop (NBL ENGLAND); Lowes (NBL ENGLAND);
Sherwood (NBL ENGLAND); Harrison (NBL ENGLAND)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Armstrong Bus / Coach Company Ponteland
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 January 18 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Not sure if you are related to the Poulson mentioned in this piece about the Armstrong Trust and old Tyneside buses

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/history/aboard-old-buses-tyneside-rare-12755933

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 January 18 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Not sure if you are related to the Poulson mentioned in this piece about the Armstrong Trust and old Tyneside buses

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/history/aboard-old-buses-tyneside-rare-12755933

Gadget
Thank you, no, I’m not - my Poulsen name is from my fathers Danish side. The Armstrong’s were on my Mums Northumbrian side, and she remembers as a girl that some Armstrong relatives had a bus company in Ponteland. I haven’t yet come across them in my tree and was hoping I could find who it was a research the link from them back to my tree....I would have thought there would be some local information on an old bus company, but haven’t managed to find any online
Robson (NBL ENGLAND); Armstrong (NBL ENGLAND);Richardson (NBL ENGLAND); Money (NFK & NBL ENGLAND); Gibson (NBL ENGLAND);
Watson (NBL ENGLAND); Church (NFK ENGLAND); Trobe/Trollop (NBL ENGLAND); Lowes (NBL ENGLAND);

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 January 18 18:31 GMT (UK) »
My OH is into buses and he's says there was Armstrongs of Westerhope and he thinks there might have been two companies of the same name. One company's colours were green and cream and the other was brown and cream.
The green and cream ones were taken over by the Passenger Transport Executive c 70's.
The company records might have gone to the archives at Woodhorn so you could try there. He suggests trying an Internet search with Armstrongs of Westerhope and see if that yields anything.
North East of England

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 January 18 23:49 GMT (UK) »
My OH is into buses and he's says there was Armstrongs of Westerhope and he thinks there might have been two companies of the same name. One company's colours were green and cream and the other was brown and cream.
The green and cream ones were taken over by the Passenger Transport Executive c 70's.
The company records might have gone to the archives at Woodhorn so you could try there. He suggests trying an Internet search with Armstrongs of Westerhope and see if that yields anything.
Thank you. I think it was Armstrong’s of Westerhope, but I haven’t been able to find out anything more, or the names of the Armstrong’s who started it and owned it unfortunately. Google isn’t yielding anything useful.

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Did find a reference in a newspaper 1929  re speeding by a bus driver between Newcastle and London.
"Robert Armstrong, proprietor of the Majestic Motor Service" and "Robert Armstrong, the Newcastle owner of the service"
He appears to be living in Newburn in 1939.

Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 February 18 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone, I have now solved this mystery and am touch with the descendants of W Armstrong & Sons of Ponteland and have made the connection with my tree.