Author Topic: Early Assumptions  (Read 5987 times)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Early Assumptions
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 19:12 GMT (UK) »
And perhaps my biggest incorrect assumption - that I would be able to trace all my ancestors in England back to the 16th century  ???

(three men named James Carter in the same village in the 1780s, two of them with wives named Ann, all three couples had daughters called Ann - no way of knowing which ones were my ancestors!)
Have you worked the trees of the other families to rule out the possibilities of the daughter being theirs?
Cheers Guy

Yes.  The three Anns did not die young and there is no pattern to the names of offspring.  No parents named on marriages in those days.  The ages given on the burials are missing or inconclusive.  No family wills.

Soooo frustrating ain't it!!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 19:22 GMT (UK) »
And perhaps my biggest incorrect assumption - that I would be able to trace all my ancestors in England back to the 16th century  ???

(three men named James Carter in the same village in the 1780s, two of them with wives named Ann, all three couples had daughters called Ann - no way of knowing which ones were my ancestors!)
Have you worked the trees of the other families to rule out the possibilities of the daughter being theirs?
Cheers Guy

Yes.  The three Anns did not die young and there is no pattern to the names of offspring.  No parents named on marriages in those days.  The ages given on the burials are missing or inconclusive.  No family wills.

Ain't dat de troof!
That line is "on the back burner" while I research other lines, but I'll have another think about it in a year or two.
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 19:47 GMT (UK) »

Ain't dat de troof!
That line is "on the back burner" while I research other lines, but I'll have another think about it in a year or two. 

Good plan. More comes on-line continuously.  Who knows what will show up in a year or two.

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 20:11 GMT (UK) »

No I meant did you check to see if the the parents had other children male or female a few months before the birth or even the baptism of Ann?
Many parish registers give birth dates as well as the baptism date  (but when you need it the birth date will be missing).
Did any of the families come under the Poor Laws?
Are there mentions in quarter sessions etc?
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 21:49 GMT (UK) »
I assumed that once I got back before 1900 they wouldn't move much.  Boy was I wrong!  And before anyone asks, yes I'm sure they are the same people I have reference to them in their new home town referring to where they came from etc.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 21:53 GMT (UK) »
I assumed that once I got back before 1900 they wouldn't move much.  Boy was I wrong!  And before anyone asks, yes I'm sure they are the same people I have reference to them in their new home town referring to where they came from etc.

I think that is another assumption - "They can't be mine as mine came from xxxxx and yyyyy is miles away." People moved around far more than a lot of people think.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 23:03 GMT (UK) »
I assumed that once I got back before 1900 they wouldn't move much. 

Strangely I assumed the opposite.  I already knew that both sides of of my family arrived here with the steel industry in the early 1870's, so I was constantly questioning myself when my husbands family never moved more than about 20 miles from where they are now.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Online Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Assuming that people who I shared information and photos with would reciprocate.  :-\
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Assuming that if I had Irish ancestors, I could get back to the 1600s. I have no known Irish ancestors yet, if I did I;d be lucky to get past the immigrant. I have some Scottish ancestry, and Scottish and Irish surnames can be quite similar. Luckily Scotland records have survived much more than Irish.

Assuming that there were things such as "English DNA" or "Scottish DNA" when in reality DNA is DNA, there is no such thing as "English DNA". It is just certain DNA markers can be found in certain countries.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain