Author Topic: John McGougan 1871 marriage  (Read 1006 times)

Offline jaamac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John McGougan 1871 marriage
« on: Saturday 20 January 18 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me please, in confirming the marriage of John McGougan (b.1871 in Tayinloan, Kintyre) to Martha McLay (b.1874 in Campbeltown). I have seen a number of references on Ancestry PM Trees to this marriage but I just cannot find it. It was apparently on 9th Feb 1900 in Glasgow, but I would like to see the proof. He and Martha are noted in the 1901 census in Kelvinside, Glasgow.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John McGougan 1871 marriage
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 January 18 21:38 GMT (UK) »
There is an entry on SP* for the marriage of John McGougan and Martha McLay, 1900, Blythewood.

Gadget

*Scotland's People - https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline jaamac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 January 18 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Gadget, I have just no idea how I missed that.
The reason I was so intent on proving this marriage is that I have a conundrum wrt John McGougan and his brother Archie. The marriage certificate shows him as a master mariner, son of John and Barbara, so this is definitely the JMcG I am researching. He and his brother Archie are shown in the 1911 census as on the ship SS Turquoise in London. The Turquoise was in Manchester in the 1901 census and the Mate was a John Mcgougan, so I have always assumed it was the same John (he was aged 29 then, putting his dob 1871-2). He was also present on the same ship aged 43 in 1915.
But, and this is what is throwing me, the 1901 Scottish census shows him and Martha together in Kelvinside?? Any ideas?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 January 18 22:40 GMT (UK) »
The 1871 in Manchester does look like him and so does the one in Milton with Martha. He's down as Mate on both. 

What I think might have happened is that the census forms (schedules) were delivered a week or so before the actual census day and he was entered on both.  It happens quite often.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline jaamac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 January 18 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks,
I have never seen that before, but what you say makes sense.
Much obliged for your time.
J