Author Topic: British Army in Athlone, Ireland Late 1800's  (Read 4096 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: British Army in Athlone, Ireland Late 1800's
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 21 January 18 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Found some deserter information in the Police Gazette for 16 January 1880:

Born London, a labourer aged 27 2/3, 5' 5", lt brn hair, grey eyes, fresh complexion, deserted in Jersey 14 Dec 1879, off furlough. Moles over right hip and leg.

It's possible that he understated his age when joining the army in early 1871, in order to sign on as a boy soldier (not otherwise meeting the height requirement for a soldier).

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GG2016

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 21 January 18 23:25 GMT (UK) »
A bit of guesswork  (having noted that many of the 64th came from Lichfield) brought me to this interesting possibility for George in the 1861 census:

Rotten Row, Lichfield

William Mann   60   labourer, Roscommon   
Catherine Mann   56   wife,  Ballanlubber
Patrick Mann   17   son, labourer, Roscommon
Bathley (Batholomew?) Mann 13   son, Roscommon
George Mann  10  son, Lichfield

The next household to be enumerated is Frederick Lees, a Drill Sergeant Major

However - those "deserter" records apparently give his birthplace as London

ShaunJ I am blown away with all of this information!  It would seem then, that although George Mann was born in England, he himself was Irish descent.  Incredible about the physical description as well - I myself have the grey eyes, although commonly mistaken for blue.  I'd like to see the the paper work for "deserter" and discharge and then I think i will move on to looking at why he ended up in a workhouse and do some research on his father, William.  Many thanks!  Gayle
Mann - McIntyre - Graham

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 21 January 18 23:58 GMT (UK) »
People who died in the workhouse were often only there to take advantage of the hospital and were not inmates due to poverty etc.

Offline GG2016

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 22 January 18 00:05 GMT (UK) »
People who died in the workhouse were often only there to take advantage of the hospital and were not inmates due to poverty etc.

Really?  That is interesting and it explains why his death certificate gave a residential address as well, meaning his family were still living there.  Thank you for all your help!
Mann - McIntyre - Graham

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 22 January 18 12:12 GMT (UK) »
Do bear in mind that the George Mann from Lichfield is just an interesting possibility (because of the Roscommon connections), and that the evidence of the army record (per the Police Gazette) is that he was born in London.

Remember also that the evidence that George Mann of the 64th regiment is the right George Mann is entirely circumstantial.  You should keep on searching for a marriage record.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GG2016

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 22 January 18 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Do bear in mind that the George Mann from Lichfield is just an interesting possibility (because of the Roscommon connections), and that the evidence of the army record (per the Police Gazette) is that he was born in London.

Remember also that the evidence that George Mann of the 64th regiment is the right George Mann is entirely circumstantial.  You should keep on searching for a marriage record.

Absolutely! I'm not officially recording anything without supporting evidence.  I'll keep the marriage record search on the go.  Thank you again.  GG
Mann - McIntyre - Graham